Photo

DA3 Information & Speculation

2251 replies to this topic

Earthborn_Shepard

Earthborn_Shepard
  • Members
  • 1,306 posts
This thread was closed for being a "troll attempt", but the information was legit. I did the same survey today.

This is probably going to get closed again. I understand that Bioware doesn't want that information public yet. But it's just too interesting not too share.

Since the images in the thread have been removed, a quick summary about the possible companions that were introduced:

Doran, a magister
Sera, an elven rogue
Cole, a guy whose story I didn't really understand
The Iron Bull, leader of a mercenary group

The game will play in Orlais, and it'll be about the Inquisition.

Edited by Earthborn_Shepard, 18 August 2012 - 09:03 PM.

Kidd

Kidd
  • Members
  • 3,494 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Given that there's only four companions on the survey, I'm guessing the other characters are set in stone. There's one wildcard left, possibly the Shale/Zaeed/Sebastian/Javik for the game. That's my take on it any way.

EDIT: Cole ftw btw.

Edited by KiddDaBeauty, 15 August 2012 - 11:32 AM.

Oridan

Oridan
  • Members
  • 459 posts
Eh, I think Bioware would've come up with some less generic names than "Dorian" and "Sera".

Still, it's fun to speculate.

LobselVith8

LobselVith8
  • Members
  • 14,055 posts
From what I saw in the survey sample posted the last thread you linked to, the protagonist is supposed to be a member of the Inquisition - the group the templars used to be before Emperor Drakon I organized them into the Order of Templars.

I don't see what's to like about being an atuomatic member of the proto-templar group. It seems like the kind of organization that would exclude mages as members when the aim of the original group was to hunt down mages.

Also, what makes you so certain this survey came from Bioware?

Earthborn_Shepard

Earthborn_Shepard
  • Members
  • 1,306 posts

LobselVith8 wrote...

From what I saw in the survey sample posted the last thread you linked to, the protagonist is supposed to be a member of the Inquisition - the group the templars used to be before Emperor Drakon I organized them into the Order of Templars.

I don't see what's to like about being an atuomatic member of the proto-templar group. It seems like the kind of organization that would exclude mages as members when the aim of the original group was to hunt down mages.

Also, what makes you so certain this survey came from Bioware?

Because only companies can create surveys on that page. It was toluna.com (the german version, in my case). It's a professional website and all of the concepts I saw in surveys so far turned out to be legit. For example I knew about Snow White and the Huntsman months before it was made public. ;)

I don't know if the protagonist is actually a member of the inquisition. As far as I recall it sounded rather like you were going to fight them. Might be I overread something.

Xilizhra

Xilizhra
  • Members
  • 23,556 posts
Fake or not, the descriptions were almost certainly not written by Bioware. They're far too clumsy. And as they said the game would be taking place in multiple nations, I just find this very doubtful.

If it somehow is true, the Inquisition will probably be against both mages and templars, at least initially.

Night Dreams

Night Dreams
  • Members
  • 109 posts

Ekas wrote...

Eh, I think Bioware would've come up with some less generic names than "Dorian" and "Sera".

Hey, could be HEAPS worse. They could be 'Dave' and 'Sally,' now THAT would be generic. :P

Shinian

Shinian
  • Members
  • 1,507 posts
I saw the images. The one that had the survey framing in it looked to be saying 'what do you think of this character description on a scale of one to 10', so these might be made up examples based on actual characters they are still designing.

Earthborn_Shepard

Earthborn_Shepard
  • Members
  • 1,306 posts

Night Dreams wrote...

Ekas wrote...

Hey, could be HEAPS worse. They could be 'Dave' and 'Sally,' now THAT would be generic. :P

I thought the description for Sera was a little lame as well. Oh, a wild young female elf. How original.

chuckwells62

chuckwells62
  • Members
  • 237 posts
It's probably way too early to start speculating over what may or may not be in the next DA, even with peculiar "reveals" that reek of being bogus. I very much look forward to a return visit to Thedas, and that despite sitting through tons of threads that seem highjacked by select fans who've really hated everything past DA:O.

The company is soliciting feedback from the community over what we've liked about the franchise, what we didn't, what our possible requests might be, so perhaps they've earned a little latitude in the DA development office. I don't see how us outsiders could decide in advance that we hate something that we will not even "see" for quite some time.

But then, I don't see how difficult it should really be to build any subsequent Dragon Age franchise effort around everything that worked the first time at bat.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted "Exalted March". I wanted to see the mage/templar/chantry thing concluded.

But. That content got ****-canned. As a company struggling with a spotty recent history with its customer base, I would get as far away from that stuff as humanly possible. At best, I would refer to the aftermath of DA2 in third game dialogue snippets or visual changes to the world of Thedas, OR cover it in a standard novel for the hardcore fans who've just gotta have it. Thedas is a huge place with lots of areas that we've not seen, go there, do that, and leave anything that even smacks of Kirkwall in the dim past. It's what the Warden in you would do!

Eternal Phoenix

Eternal Phoenix
  • Members
  • 6,205 posts
Hello Earthborn_Shepard. My name is Jake but many members of community know me as EA Agent X. As my alias would suggest, I work for EA and we were the ones who created the survey about Bioware's as of yet unannounced upcoming game in the Dragon Age series. The characters introduced within the survey will be companions in "Dragon Age 3" and the plot synopsis explains most of what the story is about with the major details and spoilers left out of course.

However since "Dragon Age 3" is not in the final stages of development everything is subject to change and I cannot say with certainty if this information will be up-to-date in the future.

Thank you for your interest in Dragon Age.

Agent Jake,
EA Community Administrator.

========

No. I jest! Of course I jest. I'm not really EA Agent X....

Edited by Elton John is dead, 15 August 2012 - 12:56 PM.

Chaos Lord Malek

Chaos Lord Malek
  • Members
  • 735 posts

Ekas wrote...

Actually both of the names could be related to some famous characters.

Dorian - obviously to Dorian Grey, probably guy is going to be *intrested* in immortality

Sera - only, Sera from Magic the gathering comes to mind. A planeswalker. She abandon her plane, to Phyrexian invasion i think.

Edit: And i said already in another thread, the game title is probably going to be Dragon Age: Inquisition . Which actually sounds pretty cool, at least to me.

Edited by Chaos Lord Malek, 15 August 2012 - 01:03 PM.

Cyberarmy

Cyberarmy
  • Members
  • 2,285 posts

Elton John is dead wrote...

*snip*

No. I jest! Of course I jest. I'm not really EA Agent X....

Of course you will deny that...

Earthborn_Shepard

Earthborn_Shepard
  • Members
  • 1,306 posts

Chaos Lord Malek wrote...

Ekas wrote...

Edit: And i said already in another thread, the game title is probably going to be Dragon Age: Inquisition . Which actually sounds pretty cool, at least to me.

I voted for Dragon Age: The Breach.. sounds cooler for me

also I nearly had a heart attack about the fact that EA posted in my thread... :blush:

Edited by Earthborn_Shepard, 15 August 2012 - 01:26 PM.

Shades_Of_Pale

Shades_Of_Pale
  • Members
  • 2,319 posts
The "leak" sounded sort of immature to me, so I'm skeptical.

Or it could be that I had a different thought in mind for the plot and the leak disappointed me a bit.:huh:

Edited by Shades_Of_Pale, 15 August 2012 - 01:21 PM.

King Cousland

King Cousland
  • Members
  • 796 posts

Xilizhra wrote...

Fake or not, the descriptions were almost certainly not written by Bioware. They're far too clumsy. And as they said the game would be taking place in multiple nations, I just find this very doubtful.

If it somehow is true, the Inquisition will probably be against both mages and templars, at least initially.

They're written for people who may not be familiar with the lore or setting, not clumsy, just simplified (as things often are for focus groups and the like). 

I'm not sure why everybody think that it will take place across multiple nations. The map they showed was just to suggest the next games would take place on a larger scale. 

Guest_Nyoka_*

Guest_Nyoka_*
  • Guests
I just wish they stopped using real names. I don't know why they do that.

Templars... where is their temple?

Inquisition... it existed because common priests and bishops knew crap about theology and heresy. They were so ignorant the catholic church had to create a special body just to investigate heretics. That's inquisitio, investigation. Mother Petrice and the other Chantry people we see in the games don't look ignorant at all.

Yeah yeah tiny nitpicking, but I say it because I'm liking a lot all the DA lore - the Chant, Andraste, the Circle, the Qun, the Fade, the Grey Wolf legend, Arls and Banns and Keepers, etc. and those real life elements kind of jump out at you.

Edited by Nyoka, 15 August 2012 - 02:10 PM.

Sejborg

Sejborg
  • Members
  • 1,568 posts

Chaos Lord Malek wrote...

Sera - only, Sera from Magic the gathering comes to mind. A planeswalker. She abandon her plane, to Phyrexian invasion i think.

It might be spelled with a C instead of a S, but what about Cera from The Land Before Time? 

Posted Image

RinpocheSchnozberry

RinpocheSchnozberry
  • Members
  • 6,178 posts

Sejborg wrote...

It might be spelled with a C instead of a S, but what about Cera from The Land Before Time? 

PREORDERED.

Kidd

Kidd
  • Members
  • 3,494 posts

RinpocheSchnozberry wrote...

Sejborg wrote...

PREORDERED.

+1, keys struck real hard =)

andar91

andar91
  • Members
  • 3,513 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
I'm actually going to say that I like the sound of Sera. I don't think 'brat' was a great way to describe her (but what do I know), but a character like that could be really interesting if it's done right. Bioware usually does a great job with characters, so I'm not worried. It sounds cliche at first, but they can add so much to her, and those descriptions were so generic.

Pzykozis

Pzykozis
  • Members
  • 876 posts

Ekas wrote...

Wait... Alistair, Isabela, Sebastian?...

Guest_Avejajed_*

Guest_Avejajed_*
  • Guests

RinpocheSchnozberry wrote...

Sejborg wrote...

PREORDERED.

Yep Yep Yep!

Anyway, OP, I'll buy what you're selling. I'm convinced still I see otherwise. This is fun!

Edited by Avejajed, 15 August 2012 - 02:54 PM.

LolaLei

LolaLei
  • Members
  • 28,746 posts
Dinosaurs?! **** yes!

brushyourteeth

brushyourteeth
  • Members
  • 4,405 posts

King Cousland wrote...

Xilizhra wrote...

They're written for people who may not be familiar with the lore or setting, not clumsy, just simplified (as things often are for focus groups and the like). 

I'm not sure why everybody think that it will take place across multiple nations. The map they showed was just to suggest the next games would take place on a larger scale. 

Completely agree with the underlined.

But how could a game take place on a larger scale in a map that highlights most of Thedas without  taking place across multiple nations?  Posted Image

EDIT: Still, just because the description points out that the Inquisition starts as a response to an event in Orlais does not in any way imply we'd never be investigating outside of there.

Edited by brushyourteeth, 15 August 2012 - 03:19 PM.