Photo

Piranha and Carnifex Balance Change Preview

519 replies to this topic

Eric Fagnan

Eric Fagnan
  • BioWare Employees
  • 561 posts
Hey everyone, just so you guys aren't left in the dark, here is what we're thinking of changing to the Carnifex and Piranha for next week's balance changes.

Piranha Shotgun
- Clip size decreased from 8 to 6

Carnifex Pistol
- Encumbrance increased from [1.0-0.5] to [1.2-0.7]

DopedGoat84

DopedGoat84
  • Members
  • 335 posts
Actually seems fair...

But Chris can you please please take a look at the Typhoon again! Lots of people saying/wanting a 1.75 ramp up damage bonus instead of the current 1.5. This seems fair no?

Edited by DopedGoat84, 19 September 2012 - 05:20 PM.

CmnDwnWrkn

CmnDwnWrkn
  • Members
  • 4,319 posts
I can live with these.  If you believe they need to be nerfed, these seem like reasonable changes.

Thanks for the preview, Eric.

Now let's talk about that Disciple... ;)

Edited by CmnDwnWrkn, 19 September 2012 - 05:22 PM.

DeathIsHere

DeathIsHere
  • Members
  • 525 posts
Meh, the Carnifex nerf isn't that bad. I'd still say leave it alone but I could tolerate that. Piranha nerf is mild as well, I think that's actually a very fair change. So, all in all, not as bad as everybody was expecting.

Edited by DeathIsHere, 19 September 2012 - 05:18 PM.

mystupidmouth

mystupidmouth
  • Members
  • 273 posts
Seems reasonable

RenegadeSpectre

RenegadeSpectre
  • Members
  • 401 posts
It's ok.

An English Gamer

An English Gamer
  • Members
  • 955 posts
Looks fine to me. I never use them though... now about that Typhoon buff...

Canned Madness

Canned Madness
  • Members
  • 756 posts
Not sure why every one overreacted to this.

tjh_ca

tjh_ca
  • Members
  • 203 posts
Clip size decrease for the piranha is a good approach. I'm okay with it. And the carnifex nerf isn't too bad either.

Ziegrif

Ziegrif
  • Members
  • 9,812 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
I'm okay with this.

Dunvi

Dunvi
  • Members
  • 4,833 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
I think that's totally fair. Part of the reason the piranha is so powerful is because you can get ridiculous dps with huge margin for error. Even just this small clip reduction might force to actually think while playing my N7 Paladin, rather than just wade in and mash the fire button. :P

As for the carnifex, I don't love the change but I can see the point. I think they're trying to discourage use of the carnifex as a sidearm, so that people have a reason to use the multitudes of other, generally lighter, pistols out there. Carnifex as a sidearm has probably jumped since introduction of pistol ULM...

Edited by Dunvi, 19 September 2012 - 05:24 PM.

Black Phantom

Black Phantom
  • Members
  • 8,223 posts
I could live with this, but I'm still not convinced the Carnifex should be touched.

Merkit91

Merkit91
  • Members
  • 781 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Approved.
Will you buff something, Eric?

Also, thank you for posting this. Much appreciated.

JAMiAM

JAMiAM
  • Members
  • 403 posts
Those seem to be fair adjustments. Particularly with the Carnifex, since with Pistol ULM, the weight is really inconsequential, anyhow.

Thanks for sharing.

Silentbob711

Silentbob711
  • Members
  • 298 posts
Not to bad. Think the carnifex was fine as is but that little change won't really make to much difference anyway. And I think this kind of thread is a great idea. Thanks for talking to us about what your doing. It's appreciated. 

Edited by Silentbob711, 19 September 2012 - 05:24 PM.

Dunvi

Dunvi
  • Members
  • 4,833 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
PS: Thank you, Eric, for showing us this and calming the community down. It was a getting a little ridiculous.

Constant Motion

Constant Motion
  • Members
  • 986 posts
Good stuff from where I'm standing! Slight nerf, makes them more situational and encourages other guns, without stripping away what was good about them in the first place.

Great business, cheers Eric!

Heldarion

Heldarion
  • Members
  • 5,329 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
I need to refresh this: what is encumberance? The general spread of where the bullet will land? How much exactly does +/-0.1 encumberance change?

LegionofRannoch

LegionofRannoch
  • Members
  • 6,963 posts
pirana sounds good and carnifex.. at least its only .2 points and not .5

Zero132132

Zero132132
  • Members
  • 7,916 posts
This sort of Piranha nerf, I'm on board with, but why increase the encumbrance of the Carnifex? It's main benefit is that it still does some damage while being usable on power-heavy classes for maintaining good cooldowns. Most powers don't deal enough damage on their own, so a few light weapons that deal good damage is a big part of what makes those classes attractive compared to the weapons based ones that have powers/abilities that directly benefit weapon damage. So-called 'caster' classes already struggle on higher difficulties.

Edited by Zero132132, 19 September 2012 - 05:25 PM.

CmnDwnWrkn

CmnDwnWrkn
  • Members
  • 4,319 posts

Heldarion wrote...

I need to refresh this: what is encumberance? The general spread of where the bullet will land? How much exactly does +/-0.1 encumberance change?

It's another term for the weight of the weapon

lazysundae

lazysundae
  • Members
  • 1,727 posts
I'm still a bit bummed that I just got my Carnifex II and it's already going to be heavier than my I, but I guess it's unavoidable.

But I do appreciate you taking the time to communicate the change to us in advance - it makes it a little easier to bear that we can plan ahead and know how it's affecting us.

JustinSonic

JustinSonic
  • Members
  • 900 posts
Perhaps down to 7 shots a round? I dunno if I'm liking 6...

In fact...it might make sense? My Piranha is at II right now, and it has 49 in a clip...with 7, it would balance evenly (though that might change later).

Sokar93

Sokar93
  • Members
  • 72 posts
 I was expecting bigger nerfs, but these seem rather fair.Thank you for the update. 

Constant Motion

Constant Motion
  • Members
  • 986 posts

Zero132132 wrote...

This sort of Piranha nerf, I'm on board with, but why increase the encumbrance of the Carnifex? It's main benefit is that it still does some damage while being usable on power-heavy classes for maintaining good cooldowns. Most powers don't deal enough damage on their own, so a few light weapons that deal good damage is a big part of what makes those classes attractive compared to the weapons based ones that have powers/abilities that directly benefit weapon damage. These classes already struggle on higher difficulties.

It's still useful on power classes, but on lots of them, you can equip pretty much any pistol for 200% cooldown - particularly with the advent of ultra-light pistol materials. I've got classes using Paladins at 197%, and mine's only level IV or so. Giving Carnifex a few extra grammes helps make cooldown concerns relevant again. Sets it that some power classes will do really well with the Carnifex, just as they always have, whereas others might prefer a Phalanx. Re-adds strategy, and cost/reward models, without revoking what made it excellent and what will make it continue to be excellent.

Edited by Constant Motion, 19 September 2012 - 05:29 PM.