Photo

What's the (Romantic) Appeal of Zevran?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35177 replies to this topic

CBGB

CBGB
  • Members
  • 328 posts
I'm baffled to read about the attraction of Zevran. I'm not arguing: everyone has her own preferences. I'm just seeking a little explanation.

In Threads like this, I see a number of women and female characters find Zevran attractive, when I mistakenly figured his primary vibe would be 'sleazy.'

I do understand that preferences vary, and that men don't always understand what women like, even when they think they do. And I hear this, too:

ejoslin wrote...
And anyone who thinks a guy is sleazy just because he hits on you immediately hasn't known too many guys! 

But the instant, perpetual, and indiscriminate interest in bedding everyone seems a poor formula for making the main character feel valued.

He reminds me of a high-school friend whose similar good traits - a sense of a humor and delicate good looks - were overshadowed by his habit of lobbing compliments too clunky to disguise their sexual intent. Girls looked at him like a dog in need of neutering.

Oddly, that same friend is now staggeringly successful as a flirt with nearly the opposite approach, a tendency toward Morrigan-like challenges. Not all women want the same thing, of course, but I believe he never found any who liked his eager-beaver style... the same one employed by Zevran.

I'm a writer, and I've misread him. I missed an appeal Zevran must have, and I'd like to understand it better. What makes him click with you, if he does?

Edited by CBGB, 29 December 2009 - 10:45 PM.

ReubenLiew

ReubenLiew
  • Members
  • 2,674 posts
Antonio.

Bleeding.

Bandito.

Banderas.

Herr Uhl

Herr Uhl
  • Members
  • 13,361 posts
^And he's not even a girl.

Cybercat999

Cybercat999
  • Members
  • 920 posts
I think that line about extra rope kinda does it for me :innocent:

Scotsman284

Scotsman284
  • Members
  • 59 posts
Accents, mate. Women love accents. I know people like him who are complete dogs when it comes to women and act exactly like Zevran, but most women are only turned off by their behavior but they dont have accents. so im going with that.

And let me clarify, i am a man and i dislike Zevran immensely, as a romance option.

Edited by Scotsman284, 29 December 2009 - 10:46 PM.

AndreaDraco

AndreaDraco
  • Members
  • 962 posts
I am a (gay) man and I adore Zevran. He may bed everything that moves, but winning his heart is so difficult and so rewarding that it felt much more real, and accomplished. And his bad boy attitude, his sassy sarcasm and undeniable sex appeal do the rest :)

Antikristine

Antikristine
  • Members
  • 130 posts
Personally, I'm mixed about Zevran. I find the sleazy, sex-focused impression he gives when you first meet him totally turn-off. But he is also a long-haired androgynous elf, something which I find appealing.

What is most interesting about him, and which you should be able to figure out if you read the other thread closely, is that he grows on you as a character. What is the most appealing thing about him is that if you romance him all through the end, and accepts his earring, and finally gets him to (almost) admit his feeling for your PC, his love feels very sincere. The problem is, however, that you have to romance him all the way to the top of the approval scale and then some before you get to see this side of him.

Seagloom

Seagloom
  • Members
  • 6,994 posts
Zevran's commentary can be so crass it crosses the divide from shameless and sleazy to funny. Something only him and Oghren manage to accomplish with any frequency. I have to admit Zevran is wholly unappealing to me as romance material. I intend to play out his story eventually to see what all the fuss is about, but my natural inclination is avoidance. At best, he is someone you have a meaningless fling with. I would find it very hard to commit to a man that flirts with everyone else in sight; regardless of his true feelings.

Zevran's humor is what gets me to spare him every time. Going strictly by romantic potential, however, I would never see any, and it is only through metagaming I know there is more to him than that.

ejoslin

ejoslin
  • Members
  • 11,719 posts
Zevran is funny, and if you develop the romance (even out of just curiosity or revenge for being dumped), it gains surprising depth. There is so much more to him -- he really does grow on you. The party banter is priceless; that is when I started really liking the character, the way he dealt with the insults and suspicious comments. When you develop romantic interests in the game, at least as a female character, your party starts commenting on it. Alistair has a hard time about it, getting embarrassed and flustered. Zevran just happily admits it and go on his way. I found that very appealing.

I'm honored that one of my fangirl posts got copied to start a new thread!

Edit:  I could write a LOT more about this, but I will just be repeating about 100 other posts I've written about this character.  And no, I didn't romance him my first play through until the end because I just didn't see anything about him either than remotely compared to Alistair.  Until, of course, the landsmeet.  Then I romanced Zevran out of revenge, so to speak, and was surprised at how moving that whole thing turned out.

Edited by ejoslin, 29 December 2009 - 11:09 PM.

arntson

arntson
  • Members
  • 130 posts
hes an elf

arntson

arntson
  • Members
  • 130 posts
hes an elf

Maria13

Maria13
  • Members
  • 2,714 posts
Don't forget this is a game and it therefore allows people to take options they wouldn't touch with a barge pole (?!) in real life.

Zev's easy, simples.

ReubenLiew

ReubenLiew
  • Members
  • 2,674 posts
Poor Zev.

Almost always destined to be the rebound guy.

AndreaDraco

AndreaDraco
  • Members
  • 962 posts
To me he never was a rebound. Alistair can be a good friend, a great one at that, but I see no sexual or romantic appeal to him, while Zevran's story is both rich and deep and the character instantly clicked with me.

KariTR

KariTR
  • Members
  • 249 posts
A typical example of dont read a book by it's cover. Zevran is all bluff and swagger on the outside, but he is a total keeper underneath. Plus he has a very tender kiss if you play a dwarf female :o Seriously on a scale as heart-melting and breath-taking as Alistair's "Maker, but you're beautiful."

Boss Fog

Boss Fog
  • Members
  • 563 posts
(spoilers) Zevran it seems has much more to hide than Alistair in terms of emotional baggage. It's kind of endearing and a bit humorous to see the way Zevran acts when he falls in love with your character. I was really surprised when I asked him back to my tent and he refused, "care to join me in my tent?" "No! I mean... no. I mean... no offense." classic writing right there, I also love not taking him with before the final battle, the sad puppy look on his face is priceless. I guess it's appealing to win the heart of a cold blooded assassin who's never loved anyone in his entire life.

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Skadi_the_Evil_Elf
  • Members
  • 6,382 posts
Perhaps because he is openly, playfully, and shamelessly sleazy that makes him appealing. For starters, Zevran, for all his libidinous proposals, is terribly laid back. Not all women consider fidelity and devotion to be absolutely necessary traits in a potential partner, especially the more open-minded and free-spirited ones. Perhaps the fact that Zevran does not seem to take himself so seriously, and shrugs off failure and disappointment so readily also makes him appealing.

But deeper than that, as you get to know him, he posesses a complexity of character, and is full of surprises.

I adore both Zev and Alistair, both for different reasons. A rebound? No. I still have to manage a playthrough where I can end up with both pieces of cake at the end, because I really HATE having to dump either.

Ulrik the Slayer

Ulrik the Slayer
  • Members
  • 440 posts
Zevran and Alistair were written to be fangirl(or fanqueer) material, pure and simple. If either one existed in real life they'd be punched to death ten times over. Especially Alistair.

Same goes for Morrigan with her "evil emo/goth-y-ness!"

*shiver*

Edited by Ulrik the Slayer, 30 December 2009 - 12:08 AM.

KnightofPhoenix

KnightofPhoenix
  • Members
  • 21,510 posts

Ulrik the Slayer wrote...

Zevran and Alistair were written to be fangirl(or fanqueer) material, pure and simple. If either one existed in real life they'd be punched to death ten times over. Especially Alistair.

*shiver*

QFT on the first part.

But Morrigan, heck no man. She doesn't seem emo to me at all. Maybe goth, maybe.

Ulrik the Slayer

Ulrik the Slayer
  • Members
  • 440 posts
I meant in general appearance with the dark makeup and such, not that she is of general emo attitude. And she definitely is goth - both appearance, personality and opinions. She'd fit right in with the Goth Kids in South Park.

syllogi

syllogi
  • Members
  • 5,996 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Ulrik the Slayer wrote...

*shiver*

Haha, I wholeheartedly believe that if Alistair's character was female, many of the people who can't stand Alistair would love the damsel-in-distress version. 

Zevran as a lady...well, that would be interesting.  Do guys like loose ladies?  :innocent:

Ulrik the Slayer

Ulrik the Slayer
  • Members
  • 440 posts

TeenZombie wrote...

Zevran as a lady...well, that would be interesting.  Do guys like loose ladies?  :innocent:

If I were to buy a horse, I'd buy one less ridden. Zev's been with everyone.

And everything.

Edited by Ulrik the Slayer, 30 December 2009 - 12:17 AM.

Tamyn

Tamyn
  • Members
  • 1,948 posts

Antikristine wrote...

Personally, I'm mixed about Zevran. I find the sleazy, sex-focused impression he gives when you first meet him totally turn-off.

What is most interesting about him, and which you should be able to figure out if you read the other thread closely, is that he grows on you as a character. What is the most appealing thing about him is that if you romance him all through the end, and accepts his earring, and finally gets him to (almost) admit his feeling for your PC, his love feels very sincere. The problem is, however, that you have to romance him all the way to the top of the approval scale and then some before you get to see this side of him.

Seagloom wrote...

Going strictly by romantic potential, however, I would never see any, and it is only through metagaming I know there is more to him than that.

^^ Pretty much my sentiments.

I am turned off by Zevran's hitting on everyone, since it does take away from my perception of any real, special attraction that Zevran might have for my PC as an individual. I did have to metagame to get past his sleaziness and his nonchalance about seducing and murdering people. I only started really liking him once I Iearned about his tragic past and heard enough of his party banters to hear his complimentary comments about the PC.

I think that if I played completely in character, my PC would not initially see any romantic potential in him (beyond physical attraction). Her heart would go out to him hearing about his childhood though, and as more of his character was revealed to her she would better understand the reasons for his behavior. My PC might get together with him on the provision that he really was trying to make a new start of his life.

He is much deeper than he seems at first. He has layers like onions and ogres. :)

I really like that the PC can access his vulnerable side that probably no one else will get to see. He has only loved once before and with your PC he can experience it again with less tragic results. He is absolutely loyal, willing to sever all ties to his former life. In some ways I like him better than Alistair.

Edited by Tamyn, 30 December 2009 - 12:36 AM.

SweetiePea

SweetiePea
  • Members
  • 89 posts
Zev doesn't appeal to me as a romantic interest because he is too experienced. That makes a romance feel a bit cheap to me, as, for me personally, it doesn't give me the sense that my PC is special. However, I do think he's a great character. I think he uses a blithe attitude to hide a great deal of depth. If he was as he appears on the surface, I would have ignored him and not been missing a thing. However, by having my PC get to know him better, I thought that he was a pretty interesting character. I do find the concept of really having to get close interesting as, really, this is rather more realistic than someone instantly loving you because you say a couple of nice things to them.

As for Oghren, I wish it was possible to romance him if you play a female dwarf. He is utterly and completely crass, but he also has a heart of gold behind that rough exterior. I was utterly touched when my female PC chose the ultimate sacrifice ending and the epilogue noted that Oghren had a daughter, wept at her birth, and named her after my PC.

KnightofPhoenix

KnightofPhoenix
  • Members
  • 21,510 posts

TeenZombie wrote...

In my opinion and with all honesty. No, I personally don't.
Sure, I might flirt and all. But deep inside, I would be disgusted. And I wouldn't treat her with respect at all.
But depends on how "loose" she is. If it's only talking kind of "loose", then that's ok. If it's physical, then no, I would feel disgust. Zevran type female would be the latter category.

Edited by KnightofPhoenix, 30 December 2009 - 12:25 AM.