Photo

Health and Shield Gates

697 replies to this topic

Eric Fagnan

Eric Fagnan
  • BioWare Employees
  • 561 posts
We have been investigating claims that the health and shield gates are not working properly. After some initial testing, we can confirm that both gates are working correctly, but we will continue to investigate whether there are edge cases that cause them to not work in some situations.

With that said, below is a brief explanation of how the gates work and some factors that could make it appear like they are not working.

We have two damage gates in the game. When your shields hit zero, for a small duration you become invulnerable to damage preventing any health damage from taking place. Similarly, when your health gets below 5% you become invulnerable to damage for a short time. The duration of these gates change based on difficulty and they are listed below:
- Bronze 0.5 seconds
- Silver 0.25 seconds
- Gold 0.1 seconds
- Platinum 0.01 seconds

There is also a cooldown on both gate mechanics, preventing you from becoming invulnerable too often. You can only get the benefits of the shield gate once every 4 seconds, and once every 3 seconds for the health gate. This means that if your shields hit zero on Bronze, for example, you become invulnerable for 0.5 seconds, but if your shields get restored through a Geth Turret, a Volus Shield Boost, Stim Pack, or some other means, and your shields go down again after the 0.5 second window and within 4 seconds you will not get a second window of invulnerability.

None of the health and shield gate values or mechanics have changed since we shipped the game.

The following enemy attacks ignore the player health and shield gate mechanics, which means they can instantly kill you.
- Any sync kill
- Enemy grenades
- Possessed Abomination explosions

Some of our new abilities, like the Volus Shield Boost (on the caster only), and Stim Pack, make the player invulnerable for a short duration after the cast, but this is separate from the shield gate mechanic.

Edited by Eric Fagnan, 12 October 2012 - 07:54 PM.

Mozts

Mozts
  • Members
  • 4,491 posts
We really appreciate the explanation.

Tenkawa

Tenkawa
  • Members
  • 279 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3
Thanks for the clarification (and that you are also investigating to make sure).

Yoshiyuki Ly

Yoshiyuki Ly
  • Members
  • 773 posts
I am rolling on the floor laughing. They're working correctly as I've been saying. Oh, the irony.

E71

E71
  • Members
  • 709 posts
Is there even a point to 0.01 seconds? I mean, come on...

Asebstos

Asebstos
  • Members
  • 3,909 posts
Did the period of invulnerability use to be longer?

Has the ROF on enemy weapons been increased at all?

Edited by Asebstos, 12 October 2012 - 07:49 PM.

Eric Fagnan

Eric Fagnan
  • BioWare Employees
  • 561 posts

E71 wrote...

The point is that even a massive single shot of damage won't pass through your shield and hit your health, so you can't die in one shot.

Asebstos

Asebstos
  • Members
  • 3,909 posts

E71 wrote...

Any period of invulnerability can be enough, at least against weapons that fire in bursts/relatively slowly.

Eric Fagnan

Eric Fagnan
  • BioWare Employees
  • 561 posts

Asebstos wrote...

Did the period of invulnerability use to be longer?

None of it has changed as far as I'm aware, but we are continuing to investigate.

UpirNoir

UpirNoir
  • Members
  • 602 posts
First of all, thanks for the info ! Although I find it strange why we suddenly get cut down by rapidfire mooks (Marauders, Cannibals, Centurions etc) so incredibly fast. Something must have happened since the dlc....

Kama45

Kama45
  • Members
  • 183 posts
Thank you. Have these numbers remained constant throughout the span of the DLC?

iyFale

iyFale
  • Members
  • 342 posts
Well that explains why health gate in Platinum seems gone and weakened (no sure but fine for me so far) in gold. Also explain why Vorcha can die pretty easily in Gold. Guess I shouldn't spec melee Vorcha.

edit: consider heatlh gate only works for 0.01 second in platinum means you can only take 1 more shot at best... 0.1 second is different story. Ever thought increasing Platinum health gate to 0.05 or more?

Edited by iyFale, 12 October 2012 - 07:56 PM.

Dunvi

Dunvi
  • Members
  • 4,833 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Thank you for your response! And especially for responding to each of the currently active threads - it really is great to know for certain that the devs are aware of our questions.

Do you know how badly the gates may be affected by lag? I definitely feel like I'm taking damage when I'm expecting a second to drop down, and it usually seems to happen a moment late, so maybe there's lag interactions that are causing the feeling of an overall difficulty spike.

I'd also be curious to know what changes were made to fix the vanguard glitch, just out of curiosity.

longgamma

longgamma
  • Members
  • 2,066 posts

Asebstos wrote...

It has increased for Geth hunters and Atlases.

frozzted

frozzted
  • Members
  • 434 posts
Eric, does this have any relation to using an OPS pack and still dying anyway?

PendantTurnips

PendantTurnips
  • Members
  • 195 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
thanks for addressing this, but something definitely seems off, my kroguard health gets wasted as fast as a humans health

K_Os2

K_Os2
  • Members
  • 1,233 posts
Something had to change. There are certain classes I can't play anymore because melt the second they leave cover. Use a Medigel, and and the character face plants into the ground almost as soon as control is regained.

Asebstos

Asebstos
  • Members
  • 3,909 posts

frozzted wrote...

I'd guess that would be lag related. The host has you as dead, but you pop an OPs pack before your system gets the message.

Homey C-Dawg

Homey C-Dawg
  • Members
  • 7,169 posts
That's a pretty good explination of how health/shield gate works, but it doesn't represent what's happening to me.

Try using vanguards for your testing, as it seems to happen to me the most with them. Sometimes I'll die as soon as I land a charge. No damage taken beforehand, no 0.1 second shieldgate and no 0.1 second healthgate. Just instantly down. Even if the entire reaper army focuses on me at once, I should still get the 0.2 sec immunities as long as the 3 and 4 second gate cooldowns are good, right?

It happens other times with other clases, but I find it happens most to me on vanguards.

Edit: (btw I should clarify that I've made sure I"m not charging onto grenades).

Edited by Homey C-Dawg, 12 October 2012 - 07:57 PM.

Eric Fagnan

Eric Fagnan
  • BioWare Employees
  • 561 posts

Dunvi wrote...

Thank you for your response! And especially for responding to each of the currently active threads - it really is great to know for certain that the devs are aware of our questions.

Do you know how badly the gates may be affected by lag? I definitely feel like I'm taking damage when I'm expecting a second to drop down, and it usually seems to happen a moment late, so maybe there's lag interactions that are causing the feeling of an overall difficulty spike.

I'd also be curious to know what changes were made to fix the vanguard glitch, just out of curiosity.

The host is responsible for all damage logic, and the clients only simulate it, so I don't believe lag should be a factor.

rmccowen

rmccowen
  • Members
  • 2,354 posts
I really appreciate the comment, and it's good to know BW is looking into the issue.

lemon00

lemon00
  • Members
  • 1,945 posts

K_Os2 wrote...

Something had to change. There are certain classes I can't play anymore because melt the second they leave cover. Use a Medigel, and and the character face plants into the ground almost as soon as control is regained.

i concur. i am melting immediatley, like never before. Something has changed, and I am def not having as much fun....

Eric Fagnan

Eric Fagnan
  • BioWare Employees
  • 561 posts

frozzted wrote...

I believe that is a seperate issue and is related to dying on the host before your input gets there.

unclemonster

unclemonster
  • Members
  • 852 posts
Great new dlc!!! Thank you Bioware!!!

We need MORE SALARIANS!!!!

SirRooster

SirRooster
  • Members
  • 379 posts
*calms*