Ok, I should probably preface this by saying that this is not really my preferred ending for several reasons (I rather like the MEEM mod myself) but lot's and lot's of people have been asking for something like this on the forums, on youtube and via PM so I thought I'd sit down and try to do this. It took me about 4 weeks to figure everything out and make all of this and I burned a couple of barrels of midnight oil in the process but it's finally done. So, this one is for you guys. I hope some of you will enjoy it.
Now, for the important stuff:
What is MEHEM?
MEHEM is short for the Mass Effect (3) Happy Ending Mod. It significantly changes the ending, kicking in right after Anderson's death scene (or Shepard's quiet moment if Anderson is dead).
UPDATE: Ever since v0.2 it actually has the first modded scenes during the beam run sequence at the end of "Priority Earth".
If you want to see what it's all about without getting spoiled too much, watch the MEHEM trailer! All thanks and credit for this video go to Tim van Kan a.k.a. Tim Skijwalker.
You can download the latest version (v0.4) of the mod here!
or here Thanks to BDelacroix for providing this mirror.
or here Thanks to Grotaiche for providing this mirror.
This is the installer version of the mod, which is the most convenient to use. It has been created by wavion. Thanks heaps for it, it makes life a lot easier. If you encounter difficulties, check this FAQ. If that doesn't help, just post your problem here.
If you encounter problems while running the mod, check this FAQ. If you can't solve your problem with the information in there, feel free to post here.
The installer is stand alone and does not require any extra files
However, if for any reason, you need the single files, they can be found here.
last mod update: 24. 10. 2013
The mod works with all DLCs and the current version of the game (1.5.5427.124) as of the the date of the last update above.
You will need to have the Extended Cut DLC installed for the mod to work.
Also, you won't get banned for using this mod
A note for all who want to run MEHEM in combination with texture mods: With the current version of ME3Explorer (May 2014 and later), the correct procedure to combine MEHEM with texture mods is to install MEHEM first onto a vanilla game and afterwards run the tree-scan for textures.
You can also watch a video of it. I uploaded one with MaleShep and Jack and the new Soundtrack and one with FemShep and Kaidan with the old Soundtrack. There is also a video of the new low EMS ending.
What does MEHEM do in detail (obvious spoiler warning)?
- It determines your ending based on your EMS score.
- It removes the catalyst scene. No ifs, not buts. It's gone for good. (So is your choice, you will now destroy the reapers no matter what)
- It introduces a whole new scene showing how Joker disobeys orders and keeps the Normandy in the fight long enough for Shepard to be rescued (with the help of a certain Alliance captain )
- The Normandy no longer crash-lands on the Weirdo Planet
- The Geth and EDI survive. EDI is now present during the memorial and new slides were added to the epilogue that will show the geth, if they are alive. All credit and thanks for the slides goes to areyouareaper!
- The epilogue slides now show survivors on the Citadel, most prominently Aria and Cpt. Baley. All thanks and credit for this new slide goes to Alienmorph!
- You will see your Shepard reunited with his crew (and even some interaction unique to your LI if the LI is part of the Normandy crew). While they don't exactly have a party, now it is a real bitter-sweet ending with the emphasis on "sweet" rather than on "bitter"
- The musical score is changed quite extensively, including the credits song
- Since by the time of v0.3, quite a few people have contributed to this mod, I implemented some MEHEM credits in the stargazer scene.
- Since v0.2, Harbinger will say a few lines during the beam run
And that's it.
Please note: I could only test this mod with a limited number of savegames (thanks to everyone who provided one) so I could not accurately test it for any eventuality (in terms of LIs, squat-mates, etc.). It may well be that there are still bugs and weird occurrences happening. Please tell me about any oddities you might encounter, I plan to improve this mod so that eventually it will work as seamlessly as possible.
Thanks goes to the fellows who make the ME3Explorer, to everyone in the credits and of course to BioWare for making the Mass Effect universe!
You can customise some small aspects of the mod in an easy fashion. Check out
this tutorial for details (will be updated occasionally)
There are some great additions and "mods of the mod" by now, which you might want to check out:
- Extended Anderson Conversation by JohnP restores the cut content in the final conversation between Anderson and Shepard (to run this with MEHEM properly, dowload the mod and the MEHEM music fix here)
- Miri/Jack LI hug, also by JohnP includes Miranda/Jack in the memorial scene if they are Shep's LI
- Deager's version of MEHEM v0.4 offers yet more music choices as well as some scene edits
Other story mods that go well with MEHEM:
- CEM - The Citadel Epilogue Mod by Deager, changes the Citadel DLC to work as an epilogue that can be played after the endings (it removes references to the reaper and Cerberus war from the dialogue)
- ThaneMOD, for all the Thane fans out there who want their favourite Drell to survive ME3 is available in a version that works with MEHEM
Want to help with general ME3 modding? Check out the ME3Explorer forums.
MEHEM v0.4 changelog (24. 10. 2013):
- MEHEM now features 2 very different endings. Which one you will see depends on you EMS score
- The high EMS ending has been improved with new custom made videos, created by Mr Fob and SlipperyHammer
- Upon installation of MEHEM v0.4, you can now choose between the old v0.3 soundtrack and an entirely new and original soundtrack, composed and provided by sH0tgUn jUliA
- The slides for Miranda and Jack will now show during the epilogue, with Miranda having a new slide, provided by Poly Morph
- Miranda's and Jack's final moment after the memorial scene have been remade
- You will now get a couple of additional emails throughout the game*, courtesy of frypan, as well as an additional action at the SPECTRE terminal on the Citadel
- Adjusted the credits to account for all the people who came in to help on the project
- There is one more secret addition (found by now). If you find something unexpected while playing, report it on the forums.
*) Most of the emails will automatically be added to your terminal all at once if you load a save just before "Priority: Earth" (if your Shepard meets the conditions for getting them). However, it is recommended to play through the game to receive them at the proper time. Also, there is one email which you will only get when playing from the beginning.
- Fixed some minor timing issues during the high EMS endings
- Fixed a bug that could dump the player in the wrong memorial scene under certain circumstances
- Fixed the occasional overlapping of Traynor's model with Ash/Kaidan during the non-hugging memorial scene
MEHEM v0.3 changelog (08. 03. 2013):
New features and improvements:
- Jack and Miranda now have individual farewell videos (thanks to areyouareaper for the slides)
- New slide with citadel survivors (thatnks to Alienmorph for the new slide)
- A couple of new and colour corrected scenes for the videos (thnaks to Bierwichtel for the new shuttle landing scene)
- The game now detects automatically if you saved the geth or not and shows the appropriate slides. No more manual file changes are required
- Stargazer scene now features MEHEM credits
- EDI slide can no longer show up during the epilogue
- Shepard-hands and Garrus-hug clipping issues improved
- Female animations for male Shepard removed
- Hackett's cut lines during the beam transport cutscene are back in
- Sound adjustments for the videos
- Lip synching improved during the videos (still not perfect though)
- Took care of some video formatting issues. Videos should now be of slightly better quality
- Sound balance during the videos adjusted. This is still work in progress though, please tell me if you think something is drastically too loud or quiet. Keep in mind though that the audio during the new cutscenes is dependent on you sound SFX volume setting (dialogue in those cutscenes included).
MEHEM v0.2 changelog (24. 11. 2012):
- Shepard now wears his uniform at the memorial scene (s/he still has and injured face but if you play default Shep, it's partially healed. Custom Sheps are in the same condition as during the mission)
- EDI is no longer on the memorial wall and is present during the memorial (she replaces Javick, who is already taken off to that nebula he wanted to see). Note: EDI should be there even if you don't have from Ashes but it would be nice if someone could confirm that.
- New add-in dialogue slides have been added for the casses that the Geth and Quarians made peace and also for the case that the player supported the Geth and wiped out the Quarians. Credit for these new slides goes to areyouareaper! Thank you!
- Harbinger now speaks a couple of lines during the beam run
- Shepards walking animations during the memorial scene are fixed to the best of my ability. Manly Shepard walks manly now. If you have a FemShep with a female LI/best friend, FemShep also has a manly walk but that doesn't look as awkward as MaleShep's female walk.
- Garrus facial expressions are fixed. His hugging scene is still clipping like hell though, That's something to fix for the next version
- Some minor clipping throughout the memorial scene is fixed (not all of it though)
- Shepard no longer carries a pistol during the memorial scene
- The pistol shot, you could hear after the pause in between the space battle videos is removed
- The sound mix of the videos has been slightly improved to make some of the dialogue easier to understand
- IGN logos have been removed from the videos and one repeating scene of Joker has been replaced with a new one
Feel free to post suggestions in this thread or here
Want to help with MEHEM? Just post in this thread and keep us updated on potential contributions here
Want to show support? Quething made some really cool banners for us. Feel free to use them in your sig :
And here is one for the Garrus fans from Seleya_LL (it's made of two images so you'll need to copy both):
TNT1991 made some great banners as well. Here is an example:
There are more, featuring Kaidan and Tali as well as Liara. Find them here.
And here are two more, made by wavion for all the biotic gods out there:
And one more from wwinters99 for you NSevenophiles:
And one more by myself and CommandBenX:
Feel like watching more videos? spamtrash made a thank-you-video that covers the whole ending story from "hold the line" to MEHEM v0.1
Edited by MrFob, 08 January 2015 - 11:03 PM.