Next Mass Effect Announcement Speculation

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

skiadopsendow

skiadopsendow
  • Members
  • 928 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Mass Effect 3

I expect a teaser trailer to be aired at E3 2014. If this won't happen, i'll be surprised to be honest, but we'll see, no pressure for the team :P

• SwobyJ likes this

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 12,491 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

A 2016 release would work for me as long as DA:I releases a steady stream of DLC. 

That'll be dependent moreover on sales than developer choice. Both will factor but the latter won't apply without the former. Of course I would never tell anyone to buy a game they sampled and did not enjoy so let's hope Inquisition is deemed good by many counts.

ME3 got a pretty impressive amount of DLC despite its ending mayhem so sales must have persevered for a while there. Either that or currency flow was strong enough with the multiplayer to press onward with both sides of the game. (Quite possible, actually.) DA2 only got part of what the devs originally dreamed, though, and it's a well-known fact sales were great in its first week but then nosedived in subsequent periods based on lackluster word-of-mouth.

Mostly I'm rambling to avoid further homework right now but you get the idea: we'll see more DLC if Inquisition sells, Inquisition will sell more if it's considered good and it's still anyone's guess what the masses will think of it. Hopefully the obvious influences in game design will attract a wide enough audience to offset the number of folks who still equate the franchise name with disappointment after the second game's release.

(Irrelevant disclaimer: I like DA2, so this isn't an attack on it or anything. Just stating industry facts as I see 'em.)

• Han Shot First and SwobyJ like this

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts

I would guess that BioWare wants the focus of 2014 to be on Dragon Age: Inquisition. DA2 was not loved by all fans *cough*, but it was an important step going from DA:O to what DA:I looks to be. As such, and to ensure that DA:I will allow for much more DA content to come in the future (DLC for DAI, DA4/5/6 or whatever they get called, ancillary products, etc), I this this year's E3 will heavily push Inquisition to the press and gamers. To announce whatever the next ME game is called at E3 would dilute BioWare focus.

I do hope Aaryn or Casey drop a few hints, but I really doubt there will be any teasres, trailers or even substantial news interviews about MENext. Given that for some fans the last memory of the trilogy was a negative one, I think BioWare will want to really wow prospective ME fans to pay attention to a new title right out of the gate, rather than announcing a few details or teaser trailer, then going dark while DAI takes center stage.

I think ME fans will not see any info this year, period. I exect DA:I will really allow fans who became dismayed that DA2 and the ending of ME3 might indicate a lessening of BioWare's dedication to quality to be reassured when they see how awesome DA:I is when it comes out. That and what I assume will be quality DLC will show BioWare is again the amazing RPG company fans expect. Then, after the success of DA:I and at least 1 major DLC, we'll learn about MENext at E3 2015 and the focus for BioWare will shift from DA:I to MENext for 2015.

Then MNext becomes the focus for 2015, launching in 2016 (or maybe late 2015 dependng how Montreal ramps up as a studio). Then things repeat as above in 2016 as Casey reveals the new IP his team is working on, then in 2017 DANext.

Still, I'd be really happy to be wrong. I love the ME franchse and, like you all, I don't want to have to wait that long. :)

:devil:

• Major Tao and Drone223 like this

Zazzerka

Zazzerka
  • Members
  • 7,465 posts

2016 doesn't even feel like a real year. I had to check my calendar to see if it actually existed. Turns out, it does.

• thepringle and Warden_of_all like this

Major Tao

Major Tao
  • Members
  • 249 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

Hello Chris,

Thanks for sharing your speculations regarding what Mass Effect fans might expect this year from the elves at Bioware !

The insider perspective is appreciated as fans try to sort out what's happening during development cycles. 

Bioware folks must be working pretty hard and stretching their creativity and ingenuity since there is solid competition out there on the fantasy front with offerings such as Skyrim and now Elder Scrolls Online....and on the Sci-fi/Space Opera front we're going to see Destiny appear this year.  ( * I acknowledge that Bungie hasn't been known for creating excellent Bioware-style RPG features as much as crafting excellent shooter adventures. )   I expect that the existence of excellent sci-fi and fantasy adventures offered by competitiors and the technology of new consoles raises the challenge bar for Bioware as you folks seek to create new compelling stories and lands of adventure.

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,258 posts

Pointing out the obvious here:

I know nothing about any MENext schedules, dates, content, etc. Yes, I did work for BioWare and before I left in Juy of 2013 I knew a few details of what the MENext team were working on. However, it has been 9 months since then. Anything I knew is likely out of date or changed (a little,a lot or completely).

My guesses are based on "knowing" a little about how BioWare worked in the past. Still, that was the past. EA has a new boss, the Montreal studio grows and changes all the time, things at the Edmonton studio continue to evolve and improve. Anything I "knew" is way old details.

Just like all of you, I am making my best guess. Its no better or worse than anyone elses guess here. We're all waiting the same way.

:devil:

• Major Tao, MattFini and SwobyJ like this

Probe Away

Probe Away
  • Members
  • 236 posts
Hi Chris, appreciate the (former) insider perspective. However, I'm certain that around the new year BW said - maybe via Twitter - there would be some news/info on ME Next *at some stage* this year.

I agree that they will want to time it right to avoid taking the gloss off the DAI launch tho. Maybe that means something sooner, rather than later?
  • thepringle likes this

SNascimento

SNascimento
  • Members
  • 4,565 posts

It's just worth remembering that all ME and DA games were announced before another one came out, like ME2 before DAI or ME3 before DA2. 

• CannonO and SwobyJ like this

ozthegweat

ozthegweat
  • Members
  • 581 posts

I would guess that BioWare wants the focus of 2014 to be on Dragon Age: Inquisition. […] To announce whatever the next ME game is called at E3 would dilute BioWare focus.

Are you convinced that 2014 will stay ME-less because ME2 came out only 2.5 months after DA:O and that was an unfavorable situation (regarding QA, marketing, support, certification with MS/Sony etc.) that BioWare doesn't want repeated (as far as you can, want to or are allowed to answer this)?

Still, I think there could be some info in 2014, like a teaser with the title, release time frame and perhaps 10-20 seconds of CGI.

Released at E3, it could perhaps help marketing DA:I, but I'm no marketing expert.

Or they could release the teaser after the release of DA:I, like, I don't know... some time in early November perhaps? Let's say between 6th and 8th? :D

Still, I'd be really happy to be wrong. I love the ME franchse and, like you all, I don't want to have to wait that long.  :)

Right there with you  :)

felipejiraya

felipejiraya
  • Members
  • 2,109 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

In the past few years EA has created a habit of hyping games in their E3 keynote that are still early in development (like Battlefront and Mirror's Edge) so I'm mildly confident we'll see something about ME this year.

• CannonO and SwobyJ like this

Sion1138

Sion1138
  • Members
  • 469 posts

2016 doesn't even feel like a real year. I had to check my calendar to see if it actually existed. Turns out, it does.

It certainly doesn't exist yet.

And who knows? Maybe some massive asteroid blows us all to smithereens before we get the chance to play this game.

chris2365

chris2365
  • Members
  • 1,642 posts

Are you convinced that 2014 will stay ME-less because ME2 came out only 2.5 months after DA:O and that was an unfavorable situation (regarding QA, marketing, support, certification with MS/Sony etc.) that BioWare doesn't want repeated (as far as you can, want to or are allowed to answer this)?

Still, I think there could be some info in 2014, like a teaser with the title, release time frame and perhaps 10-20 seconds of CGI.

Released at E3, it could perhaps help marketing DA:I, but I'm no marketing expert.

Or they could release the teaser after the release of DA:I, like, I don't know... some time in early November perhaps? Let's say between 6th and 8th? :D

This. If EA is willing to tease games like next gen battlefront and mirror's edge a year ago and not follow up why wouldn't they do that for Mass Effect? I could honestly see a brief 30 - 60 second teaser at this E3 followed by months of silence. Maybe we get some subtle hints in early 2015, followed by an info blow-out by gameinformer in may 2014, followed by more trailers at E3 2015 and release in Q4 2015

CannonO

CannonO
  • Members
  • 1,139 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

Hi Chris, appreciate the (former) insider perspective. However, I'm certain that around the new year BW said - maybe via Twitter - there would be some news/info on ME Next *at some stage* this year.

I agree that they will want to time it right to avoid taking the gloss off the DAI launch tho. Maybe that means something sooner, rather than later?

They did indeed say they hoped to have info in 2014. Perhaps they'd do something like a VGA reveal after DA:I is already out? 

http://gamerant.com/...e-details-2014/

I remember finding this IGN headline humorously vague and non-committal:

http://www.ign.com/a...oming-next-year

• chris2365 likes this

chris2365

chris2365
  • Members
  • 1,642 posts

I don't understand why everyone is so insistent on having Mass Effect coverage and Dragon Age coverage separate. Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2 released 3 months apart yet both had excellent reviews and sales. Nothing should be stopping Bioware at E3 from saying: '' DA fans: here are some hype-pump up trailers for DAI! Release date, gameplay, the whole bucket! And we also have a little something for our ME fans: we didn't forget about you (teaser) ''

• SwobyJ likes this

EatChildren

EatChildren
  • Members
  • 708 posts
I don't buy the waiting for Dragon Age argument even though I do believe it would be BioWare's biggest focus at the moment, for obvious reasons. History doesn't really support BioWare not teasing or announcing projects until the latest is released.

Dragon Age was discussed demoed for years before it came out, and during that period Mass Effect was announced, revealed, and released. Mass Effect 2 was publicly teased (SHEPARD KIA) and E3 demoed before Dragon Age released, with only two months separating the two. Then Awakening came out only two months after Mass Effect 2. Dragon Age 2 was then announced and revealed with trailers after Mass Effect 2 came out, and in the same year Mass Effect 3 was announced with the CGI trailer, Dragon Age 2 not releasing until a couple of months later. Then there's TOR, which was announced all the way in 2008, discussed and demoed in various capacity all the way until release.

Maybe BioWare today is far, far more strict about showing and discussing projects as an isolated focus before moving on to the next. I could believe that, given budgets and such. But they didn't operate this way at all for the seven or so years of the last generation. They juggled multiple announcements and projects almost all the time, and I don't mean simple "we're working on X". There were teasers, trailers, and/or gameplay demos of both projects floating around simultaneously.

I think the probability of BioWare only talking about Inquisition at E3 this year is very, very low. Not while Montreal has been knee deep in Mass Effect 4 for quite some time, and Austin is known to be working on a new project too. It could happen, of course, but I wouldn't gamble on it.
  • chris2365 likes this

Sequin

Sequin
  • Members
  • 591 posts
I am extremely optimistic about hearing "something" about the next ME at E3. I feel like it has to happen before DA:I officially hits stores. Otherwise, there'd be a period of time after DA hits where there is zero information about any new Bioware games. It may not be a big announcement at E3 (to not steal the spotlight from DA) but it will be something interesting enough to get people talking some more.

tehturian

tehturian
  • Members
  • 218 posts

I think the probability of BioWare only talking about Inquisition at E3 this year is very, very low. Not while Montreal has been knee deep in Mass Effect 4 for quite some time, and Austin is known to be working on a new project too. It could happen, of course, but I wouldn't gamble on it.

Now there's a thought. Assuming Bioware Austin does indeed have its own project in the works and they've been working on it round about since the release of the old republic; that will be a three year development time already. Perhaps we'll see whatever they're doing before we hear about MEnext. 

ozthegweat

ozthegweat
  • Members
  • 581 posts

The cat is now out of the bag: DA:I will be released on October 7. So a teaser trailer released exactly one month later on N7 day would fit perfectly, wouldn't it?

BioWare could concentrate its marketing efforts on DA:I up to its release and a month later start their eezo drive cores for ME:Next! :wizard:

• Drone223 and SwobyJ like this

SNascimento

SNascimento
  • Members
  • 4,565 posts

The cat is now out of the bag: DA:I will be released on October 7. So a teaser trailer released exactly one month later on N7 day would fit perfectly, wouldn't it?

BioWare could concentrate its marketing efforts on DA:I up to its release and a month later start their eezo drive cores for ME:Next! :wizard:

I don't think so. It go against their past. 

bayofangels

bayofangels
  • Members
  • 227 posts

More teasing on N7 Day and a full trailer at the VGAs, I'd wager. And then the PR machine begins in earnest for a holiday 2015 launch.

InterrogationBear

InterrogationBear
  • Members
  • 111 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

More teasing on N7 Day and a full trailer at the VGAs, I'd wager. And then the PR machine begins in earnest for a holiday 2015 launch.

The VGAs are dead and VGX 2013 was a total disaster and not on TV. Bioware will not be there, assuming there actually is a 2014 VGX show.

E3 gets mainstream media coverage and is the place to announce new games. You'll see.

Master Che

Master Che
  • Members
  • 5,727 posts

I predicted (to myself) that Dragon Age: Inquisition would come out in October because DA:O did back in 2009.  Sooooo...continuing on with that logic and given that DA:I will provide much of the technical structure for NME...I would peg the release date for NME to be no later than March 31, 2015 (hedging my bet it will be sooner in Q1).  

I think we'll get a nice little nugget during E3 with a release window.

Jaulen

Jaulen
  • Members
  • 1,807 posts

^ March 2015 too early for a release of ME:N.

I'm going to parrotothers and say 4th Q 2015 at earliest, 1st Q 2016 more likely.

bayofangels

bayofangels
  • Members
  • 227 posts

The VGAs are dead and VGX 2013 was a total disaster and not on TV. Bioware will not be there, assuming there actually is a 2014 VGX show.

E3 gets mainstream media coverage and is the place to announce new games. You'll see.

You'd be surprised at the number of eyeballs VGX gets (especially considering how bad it was last year) but that's why there's so many announcements there.

E3 will be slap bang in the middle of the DA:I marketing campaign, we'll definitely not seeing anything then.

spinachdiaper

spinachdiaper
  • Members
  • 892 posts

Bioware(EA) likely wants the next ME out by November 2015 so I'll assume it's a March or April 2016 release