Nimrodell

Nimrodell
  • Members
  • 782 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Hey guys,

I just want to clarify the endings in Dragon Age: Inquisition

Dragon Age Inquisition's endings variations come in three levels

1. Minor variations based upon choices you make in the game or previous games. There are HUNDREDS of these variations. 

2. Major variations based upon larger decisions in the game. There are about forty of these

3. Completely unique endings. There are a small number of these

Thank you Mr. Darrah, I only needed clarification number three. I really got worried today, not 'cause I didn't believe you but because I got troubled with the fact that people will use number 40 in literal sense if their, usually high and unreal, expectations are not fulfilled. Now it's clearly stated - Completely unique endings. There are a small number of these.

Nightdragon8

Nightdragon8
  • Members
  • 2,520 posts

Hey guys,

1. Minor variations based upon choices you make in the game or previous games. There are HUNDREDS of these variations. 

2. Major variations based upon larger decisions in the game. There are about forty of these

thanks for the clear up and thanks for the time spent dealing with us =)

lets just hope you don't make an ending where everyone is an abomintation or the Inquisitror can become god of the dragons...

• mupp3tz likes this

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 12,793 posts
e_e;

efd731

efd731
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts

Am I getting pelted with cyber-tomatoes if I think ME3's Citadel DLC closed the wound for me?

. ME3's ending was a stab wound somewhere non-vital. Citadel was a Lazarus project and a half, with a stay in a hospital staffed by models.

Mathias

Mathias
  • Members
  • 3,712 posts

Hey guys,

Mark thank you for your honesty and being straight forward with us. This sounds great, I guess my last fear would be for the Completely Unique Endings, in which each one has one thing in common. You die no matter what you do. But I assume you guys are better than that.

Mathias

Mathias
  • Members
  • 3,712 posts

. ME3's ending was a stab wound somewhere non-vital. Citadel was a Lazarus project and a half, with a stay in a hospital staffed by models.

Having a DLC in which you spend lots of funny moment with your Squadmates didn't exactly undo the ending. It was still there...

Citadel's mission and it's overall tone would've made a great deal more sense if it were post game. 

• Dubozz and Iakus like this

Dabrikishaw

Dabrikishaw
  • Members
  • 1,457 posts

Hey guys,

All of a sudden, not so much hyperbole.

efd731

efd731
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts

Having a DLC in which you spend lots of funny moment with your Squadmates didn't exactly undo the ending. It was still there...

Citadel's mission and it's overall tone would've made a great deal more sense if it were post game.

the tone would obviously, but the mission makes no sense post-game. What does an Allready destroyed Cerberus want with the Normandy is shepard is Allready dead or half robot? Or if shepard survives in an alternate ending, how will they mimic the universe's greatest hero using an anti-social xenophobic clone?!

efd731

efd731
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts

Edit: Quote Removed - Mod1

Not sure if humour......anyhow, I disliked the ending, but no vitriolic hate from me. Notice my allegory had citadel as a recovery from the ending stab wound? A very pleasant and total recovery, on account of that dlc being fan service of the highest order(and quality). It didn't make the ending not suck, but after defeating the reapers it was the high note that was desperately needed.

keightdee

keightdee
  • Members
  • 621 posts

Can we keep the Mass Effect discussion to the Mass Effect board?

wbff4k.jpg

• Dubozz, llandwynwyn, Hrungr and 4 others like this

efd731

efd731
  • Members
  • 1,476 posts

Can we keep the Mass Effect discussion to the Mass Effect board?

wbff4k.jpg

Slow clap(of appreciation). I suppose we did go a bit overboard, but while we were discussing the other game, it was in relation to this one.

Dutchess

Dutchess
  • Members
  • 3,006 posts

It seems a rather strange approach for Bioware to again draw such focus on a large number of endings. You'd think they would be a little more careful with this. I wonder if it is (partially) to compete with the next Witcher game, as CDPR had promised a lot of different endings to that game too.

• ghostbusters101 likes this

ElitePinecone

ElitePinecone
  • Members
  • 11,625 posts

It seems a rather strange approach for Bioware to again draw such focus on a large number of endings. You'd think they would be a little more careful with this. I wonder if it is (partially) to compete with the next Witcher game, as CDPR had promised a lot of different endings to that game too.

The logical implication is that they feel confident enough that there *are* actually 40 endings or whatever this time, with proper content and divergent branches.

Given what happened with their last game, I don't think they'd be saying this kind of thing if there was even the slightest risk of it backfiring again.

• keightdee likes this

Dutchess

Dutchess
  • Members
  • 3,006 posts

The logical implication is that they feel confident enough that there *are* actually 40 endings or whatever this time, with proper content and divergent branches.

Given what happened with their last game, I don't think they'd be saying this kind of thing if there was even the slightest risk of it backfiring again.

I don't know. 40 "major" variations seems a very bold claim to me. It will be great if they can pull it off, but I do have to wonder what "major" will entail here. It sounds promising but at the same time it's such a vague term which can interpreted differently by multiple people. We'll see. I've heard all the "shape the world" (or city in Kirkwall's case...) before and it didn't exactly live up to expectations then.

• llandwynwyn and Dabrikishaw like this

Fredward

Fredward
  • Members
  • 3,208 posts

It could just be that Bioware and EA are putting a lot of stock in DAI since this will be the first game in the next generation. If they can blow everyone away with a really excellent game that's gonna go a long way in rebuilding loyalty and getting some new customers.

Innsmouth Dweller

Innsmouth Dweller
  • Members
  • 576 posts

I don't really play games for ending. if i was, well, Divinity 2 would take the cake (brilliant!)

the adventure alone is much more important. sure, endings bring some kind of closure, but i had more fun listening to Varric/Bohdan/Alistair/... telling me about GW than reading slides in DA:O. 

...as for ME3, i really wanted Shepard to fail. the cycle should have been completed despite all the effort. yeah, you can call me a heathen now :D

• FireAndBlood likes this

nightscrawl

nightscrawl
  • Members
  • 2,856 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

Hey guys,

I would say that points two and three are going to impact players the most, with the third having obviously the greatest impact. It will be interesting to see how all of these things interact with each other.

I'm also really curious to know what format the ending will take. Will there be an epilog or similar (I'm hoping not, if only to avoid the DAO "rumor" issue), or will we see the results directly in the game as we are playing it, including the final "ending"? I had thought that at one point it was mentioned that DAI will allow us to continue playing after the game is over, which I took to mean the main plot. So will we be able to go around to various locations, talk to NPCs, and see the results of our choices?

azarhal

azarhal
  • Members
  • 3,827 posts

I don't know. 40 "major" variations seems a very bold claim to me. It will be great if they can pull it off, but I do have to wonder what "major" will entail here. It sounds promising but at the same time it's such a vague term which can interpreted differently by multiple people. We'll see. I've heard all the "shape the world" (or city in Kirkwall's case...) before and it didn't exactly live up to expectations then.

It's not a bold claims at all. The problem is that you and a bunch of people believe that having Ferelden ruled by Anora or Alistair is the same thing when it's not. It's a major narrative changes for the dev to handle.

Reever

Reever
  • Members
  • 1,388 posts

I think it'll be like DAO (small number of based endings plus variations based on the choices made i the game), unless a Bioware devs confirmed it.

What I was thinking.

Hey guys,

What we get. Yeah, I'm good! =D

Mathias

Mathias
  • Members
  • 3,712 posts

the tone would obviously, but the mission makes no sense post-game. What does an Allready destroyed Cerberus want with the Normandy is shepard is Allready dead or half robot? Or if shepard survives in an alternate ending, how will they mimic the universe's greatest hero using an anti-social xenophobic clone?!

They're not Cerberus anymore they became a separate faction. With some tweaks here and there to the plot and dialogue, yeah it would fit right in with post ending. Probably was we were forced to die in all the endings, so it couldn't happen.

Dominus

Dominus
  • Members
  • 13,544 posts
Also appreciative of Mr. Darrah's update on it. A very variable game. I wasn't expecting a Chrono Trigger/Cross route, which is likely why it came off misleading to others on whether they meant "core" endings or major/minor variations.

I don't really play games for ending.

Depends on the game. More Gameplay-Centric titles I'd worry less about that sort of thing. Something along the lines of DA:I is a bit of a different story, as narrative/dialogue would be the main reason I'd be diving into the game. I'd wager a guess they've taken major inspiration from TW2 in that regard.

llandwynwyn

llandwynwyn
  • Members
  • 3,106 posts
Bioware should've avoided number. Just say there are different endings.
Not everyone counts saving the random peasant's life as game changing.

Innsmouth Dweller

Innsmouth Dweller
  • Members
  • 576 posts

(...) Depends on the game. More Gameplay-Centric titles I'd worry less about that sort of thing. Something along the lines of DA:I is a bit of a different story, as narrative/dialogue would be the main reason I'd be diving into the game.

even if arcanoid had amazing, deep, philosophical, mind-blowing ending, i wouldn't play it in my free time. that's something you do on very boring staff meetings or while waiting in line :D

if it was trully worthwhile, i'd probably youtube'd it or whatever. the arcanoid ending, i mean. i'm pretty sure i'm not alone in that regard.

*"arcanoid" could be replaced by any non-gameplay-centric title

edit: whatever non-gameplay-centric title might mean :D

Tharja

Tharja
  • Members
  • 3,009 posts

fifty is not enough

Mass+Efect+3+Ending+Generator.+yup_7967a

Reaper: I can sing a rainbow sing a rainbow Bioware can you singe a rainbow too

• efd731 likes this

AlanC9

AlanC9
  • Members
  • 26,642 posts

It's not a bold claims at all. The problem is that you and a bunch of people believe that having Ferelden ruled by Anora or Alistair is the same thing when it's not. It's a major narrative changes for the dev to handle.

Well, that's the problem. "Major" is subjective.
  • ghostbusters101 likes this