Photo

Dragon Age: Inquisition will Feature Complex Romance and Characters with "One Solid Sexual Orientation"

546 replies to this topic

Natashina

Natashina
  • Members
  • 7,568 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Don't you know if you express attraction to one person of one gender at one small, tiny point in your life, it forever labels you?

The funny thing is...in all the time I posted in any variation of this thread...worries about the technicalities of how it'll all break down, concern over all bi versus the presumed 2/2/2 split, etc...I never once assumed I wouldn't like the romances themselves. I basically had that I'd like them as a given. It's always strange when someone comments that they're sure their options will be the "bad" ones or the crap ones. I never had one I actually disliked. Some I vastly preferred, but each had their own merits and enjoyment.

I have too, at least in all of the Dragon Age games.  Well said.  :)

Eluvianus Rex

Eluvianus Rex
  • Members
  • 18,613 posts

Don't you know if you express attraction to one person of one gender at one small, tiny point in your life, it forever labels you?

The funny thing is...in all the time I posted in any variation of this thread...worries about the technicalities of how it'll all break down, concern over all bi versus the presumed 2/2/2 split, etc...I never once assumed I wouldn't like the romances themselves. I basically had that I'd like them as a given. It's always strange when someone comments that they're sure their options will be the "bad" ones or the crap ones. I never had one I actually disliked. Some I vastly preferred, but each had their own merits and enjoyment.

Amen.

Like x1000

rapscallioness

rapscallioness
  • Members
  • 6,266 posts

Don't know if you all saw this:

http://dgaider.tumbl...ng-dai-romances

I gotta hand it to Allan and David. They've been really professional in responding to concerns. Although, "Professional" is a bit of dry word.

They've been really cool and down to earth abt Actively hearing ppl out on matters, And giving as much feedback as they could right now.

Much appreciated, guys.

• AllThatJazz, Tayah, fchopin and 2 others like this

In Exile

In Exile
  • Members
  • 15,945 posts

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that the only characters who aren't M/F romance options were Cortez and Samantha. So yeah, I think you're right and M/F romance option means 'male love interests other than Cortez.'

I do think female LI tend to be more interesting than the male ones but... yeah, I may be biased.

It might also be that my taste in guys is quite peculiar, seeing as I'm pretty much straight. 

Friera

Friera
  • Members
  • 739 posts

I am dissapointed. Hopefully I am not forced to play female coz i wanna romance someone that is gay/straight.

Ryzaki

Ryzaki
  • Members
  • 28,081 posts

It might also be that my taste in guys is quite peculiar, seeing as I'm pretty much straight. 

Eh the only guys I really liked were Sky, Garrus, Fenris and Alistair. :P

As long as we don't go back to BG2's male gets 3 options and females are stuck with Ameodouche I can make due :P

TK514

TK514
  • Members
  • 2,431 posts
Non-Playersexual LIs? Superb.

Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld

Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld
  • Members
  • 15,825 posts

just leave it be.

I know I'd be doing something similar if all playersexual was back. =/

I just hope the orientations are nice and varied and it would be nice for people not to be able to go "but X isn't bisexual/gay!" for once.

Do not worry. I do not wish to start anything. 

• Ryzaki likes this

Ryzaki

Ryzaki
  • Members
  • 28,081 posts

As long as I'm not stuck with Cullen or elf as my LI choices I'm happy.

FemQuizzy isn't dating a elf >:|

• Spectre Impersonator likes this

In Exile

In Exile
  • Members
  • 15,945 posts

Lastly, I'm sure the discussion isn't so much over as changed to another aspect. Yes, the 2/2/2 thing is set in stone. Which companion fills what slot is still up in the air and will no doubt fuel the next round of debate/discussion/argument/whining/rage until more information is released.

Was 2/2/2 officially confirmed?

Darth Krytie

Darth Krytie
  • Members
  • 1,842 posts

I was just responding to that person's post, so I assumed it was based on that? But I could be wrong.

Will-o'-wisp

Will-o'-wisp
  • Members
  • 271 posts

It's confirmed that there will be straight, bi and gay characters and to keep options equal for all players, 2/2/2 is the general assumption for now. It could also be 2/1/2 or 2/3/2 or something, but the daevs won't say anything about numbers right now. :ph34r:

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 25,393 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

Newp.

Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld

Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld
  • Members
  • 15,825 posts

Categorically not true.

I understand there are some people who prefer the idea of being able to romance any character who is able to be romanced, with any PC. That may have been a happy by-product of the system in DA2, for them, but that was not its purpose. Its purpose was to allow more than one option for every type of player, no matter who they were. That remains our goal.

As Mark Darrah tweeted earlier today, we have characters that are gay as well as bisexual and straight. I'm not going to discuss numbers or any further details at this point, so you can make of that what you will, but that allows us to tell more types of character stories without having to resort to ambiguity. Those stories exist for players who don't romance the characters as well, and that's also important. The rest will come as we discuss this aspect of the game in detail, but I'd hope the Dragon Age's team's expressed interest in inclusivity would provide us some benefit of the doubt until that happens.

This is where the 2/2/2 confirmed thing is coming from. 

• Darth Krytie likes this

stuffystuffs

stuffystuffs
  • Members
  • 241 posts

Funny how a lot of playersexual supporters either jumped ship or are now "okay" with the individual sexual orientation even though they were up in arms over it just several hours ago just because David basically said the same thing us 2/2/2 supporters have been saying for a while now.

Nah, there's just nothing that can be done about it.

It did help me in deciding on playing a qunari first though.  Yay for that.

tara

tara
  • Members
  • 87 posts

I'm not sure if it's been brought up in this thread yet (since I mostly skimmed), but the implication that being bi/romancable by every gender somehow isn't a solid or set sexuality is.... discomforting, to say the least. Bi/pan/etc is very much a legitimate sexuality.

As someone who sits in the "every Li should be available to every gender" group, I'm honestly not super happy with the decision to make some characters unavailable because you picked to make your inquisitor a dude and not a lady. I don't think any amount of talking about it is going to sway me at all unless it was "we changed our minds and are making all LIs available to everyone."

• Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld and oceanicsurvivor like this

Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld

Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld
  • Members
  • 15,825 posts

As someone who sits in the "every Li should be available to every gender" group, I'm honestly not super happy with the decision to make some characters unavailable because you picked to make your inquisitor a dude and not a lady. I don't think any amount of talking about it is going to sway me at all unless it was "we changed our minds and are making all LIs available to everyone."

I agree. They can justify it all they want, and I may even see and accept their side, but I'll never say I like it. 

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 25,393 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
I believe the majority of people have been polite in regards to the change.

This is nothing like the venom I recall in the months leading up to and right after DA II.

I'm not sure if it's been brought up in this thread yet (since I mostly skimmed), but the implication that being bi/romancable by every gender somehow isn't a solid or set sexuality is.... discomforting, to say the least. Bi/pan/etc is very much a legitimate sexuality.

I think Allan has acknowledged that the wording wasn't as good as it could have been. They do consider bisexual a solid sexuality, but in DA II there was debate over whether some characters were actually bisexual or if they were playersexual.

The aim in DA:I seems to be a wide range of sexual orientations and character who are bisexual or pansexual not come off as ambiguous.

Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld

Kallen Kouzuki/Stadtfeld
  • Members
  • 15,825 posts

I believe the majority of people have been polite in regards to the change.

This is nothing like the venom I recall in the months leading up to and right after DA II.

Nothing can beat the Endings Flame Wars of early 2012 after the ME3 release. *shudders*

• Maria Caliban, jellobell, Zu Long and 2 others like this

Puddikoma

Puddikoma
  • Members
  • 15,194 posts

I'm not sure if it's been brought up in this thread yet (since I mostly skimmed), but the implication that being bi/romancable by every gender somehow isn't a solid or set sexuality is.... discomforting, to say the least.

Isn't the fact that bi is one of the set sexualities Gaider listed kind of contradictory to that implication?

Former_Fiend

Former_Fiend
  • Members
  • 4,070 posts

Ok, so, what'd I miss?

Androme

Androme
  • Members
  • 757 posts

As it should be.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 25,393 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

Ok, so, what'd I miss?

Ryzaki has given into her lust for Cullen. Hinata has decided City Elves suck and Noble Dwarves are where it's at.

David stopped by and assured me that I can totally date Cassandra on my Inquisitor.
  • Former_Fiend, WildOrchid and Boisterous Bob like this

Allan Schumacher

Allan Schumacher
  • BioWare Employees
  • 7,096 posts

I just removed a chain of posts.

Note that coming in with a remark that comes across as snide because people are now "okay with this" as though they're being hypocrites or something similar is something that makes me give the stink eye.

If the defense for saying such a thing is "You would have responded the same way if the situation was reversed" you end up stating to me "Yes I realize we are being jerks (despite my instruction that I'd be monitoring the thread and to not do this)... I just think we're justified in behaving this way because I believe we would have had to deal with it if the situation were reversed."  This also raises my stink eye (and motivated me to decide that the chain needed to be removed).

If the situation were reversed and people who prefer varied sexual orientations were being attacked, then I'd be removing the posts attacking them instead.

• Nimlowyn likes this

Zu Long

Zu Long
  • Members
  • 1,008 posts

Nothing can beat the Endings Flame Wars of early 2012 after the ME3 release. *shudders*

Probably the worst it's ever gotten, it's true.