302 replies to this topic

Morrigan

Morrigan
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Salvete omnes!

Angry Joe just posted the following interview with Cameron Lee:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=b4Nr0tKgKpU

If someone else has already linked this, apologies in advance!

I already knew that the main story was a 50+ hour experience, but learning that we could get lost in the open world for one hundred hours or more made me weep with joy. :)

Thanks Bioware for all of your hard work!

• Kimarous, Dubozz, Feryx and 20 others like this

EnduinRaylene

EnduinRaylene
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Cameron also said there 20 dragons in the game, possibly more or less upon release. That's a lot more than I thought there would be I figured most areas would have just 1 dragon with only a couple of the really big ones having 2, but this means all of them could have 2 or a few might have more than 2 while others just 1. 

• Al Foley likes this

Guest_Avejajed_*

Guest_Avejajed_*
  • Guests

Man I love me some Angry Joe.

• Estelindis, panamakira, Browneye_Vamp84 and 3 others like this

deuce985

deuce985
  • Members
  • 3,238 posts

Not to be a negative nancy here but I don't like it when games pack so much content in them. I prefer smaller more polished experiences. When I see games like Witcher 3 or DAI brag about their game length, it makes me groan. I've never in my life played a game that's over 50 hours that either

1.) Has great pacing throughout

or

2.) Lacks an untold amount of filler content that's boring

It's a bad tradition in RPGs I'd like to see changed someday. I don't think any game needs a main story over around 25 hours because I've never played a game past that point that had good pacing throughout. 25 hours seems like the sweet spot for me in a game because I think all that needs to be told can be done at that point. It's not something that's going to make or break a game for me, I'm just saying I prefer shorter more compact and polished experiences. I want everything to feel meaningful including all the side content. I don't want to run around and do Fed-Ex quests that go from point A to B to deliver dirty socks and they really have no impact on your world, story or environment. If I'm going to do a bunch of side content that has no impact on story, then I want it to revolve around Thedas. I want each quest to feel meaningful and expand on the lore in Thedas. Discover new ruins about an ancient civilization that no longer exists or something like that. It doesn't have to deal with our main stories because it's side content. I'd take less quests for more meaningful experiences like this.

At least it will have a ton of content to mow through. I'm sure the main story will satisfy me plenty even if it does have pacing problems like DAO ran into. The side content is optional, so hopefully I run into some activities I really enjoy. All that being said, I'm going to love this game.

• aries1001, duckley, PunchySporkk and 10 others like this

Deflagratio

Deflagratio
  • Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Used to like this guy, but he went full G4tv pretty fast. Don't know how many people remember that downward spiral. Extended Play -> Xplay -> 3/5 12year-old comedy skit show. Screen Savers -> Attack of the Show -> "G"spot.(harharsofunny)

Really, can't even get Morrigan's name right, or is there some hidden lore character named Morgana that I'm forgetting?

• wetnasty, Tremere, N7recruit and 2 others like this

LPPrince

LPPrince
  • Members
  • 44,475 posts

Used to like this guy, but he went full G4tv pretty fast. Don't know how many people remember that downward spiral. Extended Play -> Xplay -> 3/5 12year-old comedy skit show. Screen Savers -> Attack of the Show -> "G"spot.(harharsofunny) 

I never really watched him regularly.

Deflagratio

Deflagratio
  • Members
  • 2,226 posts

I never really watched him regularly.

There was a while when he was very much the "Gamer Proletariate"  if you will. Someone who didn't get caught up in pretentiousness of the common gaming press and spoke plainly, often poorly, but it was a charming and relate-able kind of bad.

Now he just seems to be chasing that PewDiePie audience. Silly to be silly. Not my style of entertainment, other people probably disagree.

Moving on:

Not to be a negative nancy here but I don't like it when games pack so much content in them. I prefer smaller more polished experiences. When I see games like Witcher 3 or DAI brag about their game length, it makes me groan. I've never in my life played a game that's over 50 hours that either

or

It's a bad tradition in RPGs I'd like to see changed someday. I don't think any game needs a main story over around 25 hours because I've never played a game past that point that had good pacing throughout. 25 hours seems like the sweet spot for me in a game because I think all that needs to be told can be done at that point. It's not something that's going to make or break a game for me, I'm just saying I prefer shorter more compact and polished experiences. I want everything to feel meaningful including all the side content. I don't want to run around and do Fed-Ex quests that go from point A to B to deliver dirty socks and they really have no impact on your world, story or environment.

At least it will have a ton of content to mow through. I'm sure the main story will satisfy me plenty even if it does have pacing problems like DAO ran into. The side content is optional, so hopefully I run into some activities I really enjoy. All that being said, I'm going to love this game.

Those are both good concerns, and I imagine to at least some extent, they will be true, especially when it comes to the huge 50hour Main story. From the sound of it, you probably have to engage in some of the Inquisition Meta-game (Army building) to even progress the story at certain points. That sounds like padding to me, thematically appropriate and perhaps even downright enjoyable it may be. (I'll probably love it frankly) but let's not mince words, it probably will be perceived as padding to some degree.

Your second concern I feel is much more subjective though. I'm one of those freaks who doesn't even like to use Fast Travel, so "Boring" to me has a very different meaning than Boring to you I suggest. I'm also perfectly content listening to the same dialog lines multiple times through various playthroughs. So wandering around and gathering Silverite isn't exactly a "Boring Experience" in my book. I respect if you disagree though.

• spirosz, Tootles FTW, deuce985 and 3 others like this

godModeAlpha

godModeAlpha
  • Members
  • 715 posts

or

It's a bad tradition in RPGs I'd like to see changed someday. I don't think any game needs a main story over around 25 hours because I've never played a game past that point that had good pacing throughout. 25 hours seems like the sweet spot for me in a game because I think all that needs to be told can be done at that point. It's not something that's going to make or break a game for me, I'm just saying I prefer shorter more compact and polished experiences. I want everything to feel meaningful including all the side content. I don't want to run around and do Fed-Ex quests that go from point A to B to deliver dirty socks and they really have no impact on your world, story or environment. If I'm going to do a bunch of side content that has no impact on story, then I want it to revolve around Thedas. I want each quest to feel meaningful and expand on the lore in Thedas. Discover new ruins about an ancient civilization that no longer exists or something like that. It doesn't have to deal with our main stories because it's side content. I'd take less quests for more meaningful experiences like this.

Want my £65 worth. More content especially from a solid Dev like Bioware is welcomed. Will be years before the next one, don't plan to rush this one.

MarchWaltz

MarchWaltz
  • Members
  • 2,788 posts

I personally like to get bang for my buck, and a 25 hour game that cost me 60 bucks is way too short in my book.

Luckily every single Bioware game has given me SO much value - yay for a CC! It's because of a character creator and party combat that I can't stand the Bitcher.

• Aran Linvail, Chari, Ukki and 7 others like this

katerinafm

katerinafm
  • Members
  • 1,178 posts

Aside from 'Morgana', pretty cool interview. I do dislike how he talks way to much about his experience instead of taking the limited interview time to ask more questions. He could make his impressions a seperate video.

• panamakira, PK-Persona and Tremere like this

BloodyTalon

BloodyTalon
  • Members
  • 1,131 posts
  • Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Dislike angry joe tons, but seems to be a decent interview for a change if only he asked more questions instead of talking about his own stuff.

• BioBrainX and Tremere like this

deuce985

deuce985
  • Members
  • 3,238 posts

There was a while when he was very much the "Gamer Proletariate"  if you will. Someone who didn't get caught up in pretentiousness of the common gaming press and spoke plainly, often poorly, but it was a charming and relate-able kind of bad.

Now he just seems to be chasing that PewDiePie audience. Silly to be silly. Not my style of entertainment, other people probably disagree.

Moving on:

Those are both good concerns, and I imagine to at least some extent, they will be true, especially when it comes to the huge 50hour Main story. From the sound of it, you probably have to engage in some of the Inquisition Meta-game (Army building) to even progress the story at certain points. That sounds like padding to me, thematically appropriate and perhaps even downright enjoyable it may be. (I'll probably love it frankly) but let's not mince words, it probably will be perceived as padding to some degree.

Your second concern I feel is much more subjective though. I'm one of those freaks who doesn't even like to use Fast Travel, so "Boring" to me has a very different meaning than Boring to you I suggest. I'm also perfectly content listening to the same dialog lines multiple times through various playthroughs. So wandering around and gathering Silverite isn't exactly a "Boring Experience" in my book. I respect if you disagree though.

Yea. It's subjective. It's not something that bothers me TOO much because I'm use to it in RPGs. All I'm saying is I wish someone would come along and realize why do I need a game this big? It's like Skyrim and all that content. I'm pretty sure if they cut that game down by 50% in content and made it a much more polished game in areas like dragon encounters or level design for dungeons or side quests it would've made more people happy. Is anyone seriously asking for a thousand hours of content in a game? Has anyone ever beat all content in Skyrim? The answer is probably yes but I'll bet that number is very small lol.

I think what Cameron was trying to say is you have the potential of that much content between main/side. So, 150 hours is actually half that based on diverging paths of your choices? At least, that's how I interpreted his comments. If it's like that then I'm fine by it because this adds a lot of replay value to a game for me. If it's a straight 50 hour experience with another 100 hours content on the side every single time you go through even with diverging paths I can see myself going through this game less than any other DA game. I simply do not have that kind of time on my hands as much as I want to lol.

Deebo305

Deebo305
  • Members
  • 652 posts
Wow he gets Morrigan name wrong and people wanna lynch him? *facepalm*

Anyway good bit of info, I expected there to be probably 8 dragons max but 20 sounds interesting, I'm guessing only afew of them being actual High Dragons

Hope Bioware shows how base building and crafting works down the line because having them simply talk about how deep it is convinces me less everyday
  • Kimarous, thedistortedchild, Dubozz and 5 others like this

Morrigan

Morrigan
  • Members
  • 585 posts

Yeah, I'm not a huge Angry Joe fan myself, but Cameron's interviews are always fun to watch. The Bioware staff seem like really nice, down-to-earth people. I tend to follow the independent peeps more (GamerMD, AbilityDrain).

@Deuce985

Personally, I had no problem getting 195 hours out of Origins. I tend to be the type that reads all of the codex entries, does all of the side quests, and cogitates on moral dilemma's for an extended period of time. I can see where you're coming from, though. To each their own!

• Cigne, thedistortedchild, TheViper8234 and 1 other like this

NoForgiveness

NoForgiveness
  • Members
  • 1,599 posts
Who's morgana?

Altima Darkspells

Altima Darkspells
  • Members
  • 1,400 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

Cameron also said there 20 dragons in the game, possibly more or less upon release. That's a lot more than I thought there would be I figured most areas would have just 1 dragon with only a couple of the really big ones having 2, but this means all of them could have 2 or a few might have more than 2 while others just 1.

A cynical part of me wants to wonder how many they're going to rip out for DLC.
  • Travie and teenparty like this

TanithAeyrs

TanithAeyrs
  • Members
  • 1,032 posts

I think the amount of time it takes to play a game depends so much on your play style that it is almost useless to put a number on it.  Origins took me a little over 200 hours the first time through - but I talk to everyone and look in every nook and cranny.  Even now an Origins run takes me about 60 hours or so, but there were people who did their first run in 30ish hours.  I think I have over 600 hours into Skyrim now on multiple characters and I've finished the main quest a couple of times but still haven't finished all the DLC's. 

I, for one, am overjoyed at the 50ish hour main quest and 100 hour side quests.  Someone will probably do the whole thing in 40 hours and it will take me 2 or 3 hundred.  I don't find the lengthy story and numerous side quests detract from my gameplay experience.  Rather, they give me more opportunity to flesh out my character and do a better job of roleplaying.  Guess that's just the P&P player in me.  Wandering off on side quests while the GM tears their hair in frustration.

• Ledecius, cindercatz, llandwynwyn and 9 others like this

wetnasty

wetnasty
  • Members
  • 461 posts

or

Well that's your opinion, and no one is forcing you to play them. 

I often find shorter games are the ones with problem with pacing, as they usually rush through a lot of them. Though there are some shorter games that are paced pretty good (but those games usually have enough side quests to make each playthrough unique or have the story optionally expanded). 

• Al Foley likes this

wtfman99

wtfman99
  • Members
  • 48 posts
Thought he didn't give a great interview personally, Cameron represented boo ware well, he's a good interview

Melkor

Melkor
  • Members
  • 691 posts

Honestly, I'm a little excited for DA:I now after this interview.

• IceBurn likes this

TheDarkKnightReturns

TheDarkKnightReturns
  • Members
  • 1,051 posts

Love or hate Joe when it comes to reviewing games he's usually on point. If he's genuinely excited for DA:I then that's a good thing.

• Dubozz, Eternal Phoenix, Hela and 3 others like this

Hurbster

Hurbster
  • Members
  • 578 posts

I personally like to get bang for my buck, and a 25 hour game that cost me 60 bucks is way too short in my book.

Luckily every single Bioware game has given me SO much value - yay for a CC! It's because of a character creator and party combat that I can't stand the Bitcher.

The Bitcher ? Really ?

Grow up.

• Lucius_Glitterius, Kimarous, Calistrata and 20 others like this

Dominus

Dominus
  • Members
  • 11,824 posts
Thanks for the interview video. Most bits of info I knew, some I didn't.

Interesting Twists with the decisions, eh? Well, Life & Death aren't the only options to hold someone out of your team, I'd imagine. Cutting off the wings would've been interesting - you might be able to cripple it a bit along the legs/arms. Dunno.

SomberXIII

SomberXIII
  • Members
  • 242 posts

Morgana! Morgana... Morgana? Who is she? LOLOL?

Morrigan

Morrigan
  • Members
  • 585 posts

The Bitcher ? Really ?

Grow up.

Yeah, the animosity between the Witcher and Dragon Age fan bases has really grown old. Bioware and CD Projekt are both excellent companies that make very  different style of games. Comparing the merits of both franchises is, in my opinion, an exercise in futility.

Can't we all just get along?

• Cigne, Kimarous, oceanicsurvivor and 11 others like this