Lady Insanity Interviews David Gaider

238 replies to this topic

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 26,010 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

POPULAR

From her Tumblr. Lady Insanity had a chance to interview David for about an hour at GaymerX this weekend.

He has such a lovely voice.

Some highlights:
  • John Epler and Iron Bull praise.
  • All human Inquisitors are nobles from the Free March. We don't start out as a leader.
  • The Red Templars can be automatons if the lyrium has overwhelmed the mind, but some are more intelligent.
  • Blood magic is still morally ambiguous, not just pure evil.
  • Red lyrium is not 'more powerful' than blue lyrium. It's something different.
  • A hedge mage can never be a proper mage.
  • A sarabaas is a form of hedge mage; can't do regular spell casting, they mostly just blow things up.
  • There are Circles in Rivani as well.
  • In Nevarra, for each person who dies, a spirit is invited into their body. This maintains a 'balance' between life and death. In older cemeteries, there are undead just wandering around.
  • Tevinter interbreed in order to create perfect mages. Nobles must always present themselves as perfect mages and any deviancy is looked down on. Families maintain their public self image.
  • The Tevinter consider themselves a meritocracy as even those born into slavery might become a mage, earn their freedom, and climb the social ladder. Elves within Tevinter tend to see this as evidence they have more opportunity there.
  • David is thinking of writing a new novel.
  • The Great Game is based on traditions and is the way the Orlesian maintain a hierarchy. It's from a time when all noble titles were abolished - everyone was lord or lady - and this allowed Houses to maintain their social status.
  • Non-nobles seek out noble patrons in order to gain social status. Even common Orlesians consider the ability to be duplicitous a virtue. 
  • All DLC exist even if you didn't play them. 
  • Something about Alistiar and Fiona comes up in the game.
  • For some characters, you can decline sexual advances and continue the romance.
  • Merrill is bisexual. Even if you romance her with a male Hawke, she is not straight. 
  • They wanted to make sure each specialization requires reactivity. They removed blood magic because it tended to dominate the narrative.
  • There is an NPC you can flirt with and romance BUT it is not full-fledged, not like a companions.
  • Skyhold will be shown Soon ™ 
  • LI: What is Cullen's surname? David: Oh sh*t, I forget!
  • David is not aware of anything like the Black Emporium.
  • Approval is much like DA:O. Companions can be gone for good.
  • Some companions can be skipped or immediately dropped, while others are mandatory.
  • Of all the announced DA:I followers, David would romance... Iron Bull. David would #ridethebull.
There's more general chatter and I encourage you to listen to the interview if you have the time.

A huge THANK YOU to lady insanity. This is one of the best interviews I've come across.
  • David Gaider, Cat Lance, PsychoBlonde and 122 others like this

Eternal Phoenix

Eternal Phoenix
  • Members
  • 6,885 posts

I call him "The Gaider" because it makes him sound like some sort of game boss.

It's a long interview however, so I'll just come back to this thread later to see what was answered.

Edit:

Ah thank you for the highlights.

Hedge mages do sound intriguing as well as unpredictable. If they appear in the game, it'll be interesting to see how they fight on the battlefield. The Saarebas in DA2 used normal mage spells.

• Browneye_Vamp84 likes this

azarhal

azarhal
  • Members
  • 3,814 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Some highlights:

• John Epler and Iron Bull praise.
  • All humans are nobles. We don't start out as a leader.
  • The Red Templars can be automatons if the lyrium has overwhelmed the mind, but some are more intelligent.
  • Blood magic is still morally ambiguous, not just pure evil.
  • Red lyrium is not 'more powerful' than blue lyrium. It's something different.
  • A hedge mage can never be a proper mage.
  • A sarabaas is a form of hedge mage; can't do regular spell casting, just blow things up.

Thanks Maria, I hate to listen to video interviews so I very much like it when people post highlights.

The hedge mage thing is interesting. Sandal could be an hedge mage... Boom!

• Ihatebadgames, BraveVesperia, mikeymoonshine and 1 other like this

blussi

blussi
  • Members
  • 368 posts

Wow I've never heard his voice before and it's just.. gorgeous.

And thank you so much Ash for all your hard work!

• Rixatrix likes this

Teddie Sage

Teddie Sage
  • Members
  • 4,474 posts

I request a David Gaider voice acting cameo in the game! It's so suave... :ph34r: Make him a book merchant or something.

• Gold Dragon, Estelindis, Dermain and 10 others like this

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 26,010 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

Wow I've never heard his voice before and it's just.. gorgeous.

Right? I don't recall David's voice being half as sexy before DA 2.
  • Lebanese Dude likes this

Nocte ad Mortem

Nocte ad Mortem
  • Members
  • 4,923 posts

Haha. I was thinking his voice sounded great. I second David Gaider for voice acting cameo. 

• Teddie Sage and Rixatrix like this

PlasmaCheese

PlasmaCheese
  • Members
  • 702 posts

I always thought hedge mages were just apostates by a different name. What exactly are they? :o

Teddie Sage

Teddie Sage
  • Members
  • 4,474 posts

I always thought hedge mages were just apostates by a different name. What exactly are they? :o

I'm also curious about that since I'm writing RP posts as an apostate mage and thinking about writing fanfictions later.

TKavatar

TKavatar
  • Members
  • 1,573 posts

A hedge mage can never be a proper mage.
A sarabaas is a form of hedge mage; can't do regular spell casting, just blow things up.

Doesn't fit with what we know of them. Ketojan was able to do a lot more than blow stuff up.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 26,010 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

Bethany or Mage Hawke would be apostates but not hedge mages as they're properly trained. David suggests being a hedge mage is like being a dammed up river.

Heimdall

Heimdall
  • Members
  • 8,476 posts

I think it just means a mage with no formal spell training.  That's why Saarebas can only blow things up, they haven't really been permitted to develop their talents.  Someone like Morrigan or Bethany would be hedge mages, but they have training from their parents, so they're not.

• Teddie Sage likes this

martiancake

martiancake
  • Members
  • 170 posts

Human Inquisitor is a Free Marcher!

Ajna

Ajna
  • Members
  • 4,142 posts

Well since Solas is one my guess is we'll find out, perhaps by talking to him :)

I actually find the Nevarra thing really interesting..

Teddie Sage

Teddie Sage
  • Members
  • 4,474 posts

What did they mean by Humans are all nobles? Does this include that all Orleseans Humans are born from nobility or that our Inquisitors are born from a noble bloodline?

Heimdall

Heimdall
  • Members
  • 8,476 posts

Doesn't fit with what we know of them. Ketojan was able to do a lot more than blow stuff up.

Not really, it was all chaotic bursts of destructive magic.

• BraveVesperia and mikeymoonshine like this

Zered

Zered
  • Members
  • 644 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

All humans are nobles? Perfect! My ideal game themes! Nobility, restoring order, faith, chantry, putting down rebellions! Maker wills it! :D

• Han Shot First and Evelle like this

Heimdall

Heimdall
  • Members
  • 8,476 posts

What did they mean by Humans are all nobles? Does this include that all Orleseans Humans are born from nobility or that our Inquisitors are born from a noble bloodline?

All human Inquisitors are from the noble Trevelyan family (Though the mage was apparently taken to the circle at a young age)

StreetMagic

StreetMagic
  • Members
  • 13,278 posts

I imagine hedge mages can be compared to artists who haven't learned standard techniques in their craft. When you're freed from this, it provides opportunity for unique avenues of creativity, but at the same time, it's chaotic and undisciplined. And limited. You could be a one trick pony, but hone a power that's been unheard of before.

Reznore57

Reznore57
  • Members
  • 4,197 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

As far as I know hedge mages are mages who never mastered their power and have strange side effect.

Spoiler

• PlasmaCheese, Ishten and StreetMagic like this

J-Reyno

J-Reyno
  • Members
  • 1,147 posts

Human Inquisitors are from a noble family.

Human Inquisitor is a Free Marcher!

Meaning the Trevelyan family is from the Free Marches?  Because I'm really curious what Circle (if any) the Human Inquisitor is from, and whether they might have had any interaction with anyone from Kirkwall.

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 26,010 posts
  • Mass Effect 3

All human inquisitors are nobles from the Free March.

StreetMagic

StreetMagic
  • Members
  • 13,278 posts

As far as I know hedge mages are mages who never mastered their power and have strange side effect.

Spoiler

Cole is a great example. Even if he isn't the typical mage type.. I could see the process how he came about his powers the same as many uneducated mages.

Teddie Sage

Teddie Sage
  • Members
  • 4,474 posts

All human inquisitors are nobles from the Free March.

I see. I'm kinda disappointed as I would like to play a commoner human male but I guess Hawke was just that at the beginning.

javeart

javeart
  • Members
  • 812 posts

So I'm a little lost withouts subtitles  :(  did he said that the Alistair/Fiona thing comes up in the game? or not at all I'm just even more lost than I thought?  :lol:

edit: Ok, apparently I understood well, at least this time  :P