Photo

Romances in Dragon Age Inquisition

3344 replies to this topic

Mike Laidlaw

Mike Laidlaw
  • BioWare Employees
  • 765 posts

POPULAR

SPOILER WARNING! This post reveals all of the possible romance options that players will have in the game. If you want to keep the mystery alive until November, be forewarned. If you’re ready to find out now, keep reading!

Let’s take a moment to talk about romance in Dragon Age: Inquisition, shall we?

It’s quite valid to ask, “Why reveal which characters can be romanced at all? Isn’t it better to leave the mystery and let players discover the romances as they play?” While some players understandably prefer to start games completely unspoiled, the truth is that DA:I is huge. The story takes a great deal of time to unfold, as do the relationships players develop with followers. As a result, you could play the game for a significant length of time before discovering that a follower isn’t interested.

Again, many prefer that kind of discovery. Many players also have no interest in romancing anyone, and we’ve designed each follower to have a rewarding story arc for players who choose to engage with them, romantically or not. We’ve come to realize, however, that for many players, romances are an incredibly important feature—one in which we’ve invested a great deal of development time—and they prefer a heads-up to having their hearts set on a particular character, only to end up disappointed.

To preface this information, a few words on our design goals for romances: First, we want to offer choice to our players. This doesn’t mean that all choices are available to everyone—it means that no matter what type of character you choose to play, more than one possible romance option will be available. This doesn’t guarantee that a player will find a particular character to be personally appealing—which could be the case even if every character in the game could be romanced by anyone—but it ideally lets each player know they’re not an afterthought in our development process.

Second, we want our characters to be internally consistent. Every major DA:I character has a story arc, personal goals, and thoughts on how your journey together has evolved; sometimes a romance arc doesn’t make sense for them, sometimes it does. Either way, we aren’t trying to justify why a character can’t be romanced—we’re looking at how a romance with that character would make sense according to the rest of their story, and why that romance will strengthen an interesting story arc.

Finally, a character being eligible for a romance doesn’t necessarily guarantee that they will be successfully won over. These characters have their own agendas and opinions, and the choices a player makes during the game have a definite impact on their affections. That’s intentional.

With that in mind, we now reveal who can be romanced by whom. If you’re not interested in having that kind of foreknowledge before going into Inquisition, consider this fair warning and proceed no further.

Still here? Okay, then.

Here are our “core” romance options. They are available to players of any race, and fulfill our first design goal of providing multiple options to everyone:

• Cassandra is interested in male characters.
  • Blackwall is interested in female characters.
  • Josephine is interested in both male and female characters
  • Iron Bull is interested in both male and female characters
  • Sera is interested in female characters.
  • Dorian is interested in male characters.

Two “additional” romance options were added to the game as a result of the extra development time DA:I received. They are more limited in scope, largely for reasons directly related to their story arcs, but are otherwise the equal of the other options:

• Cullen is interested in female elves and female humans.
  • Solas is interested in female elves only.

This means that of our core cast, Varric, Vivienne, Cole, and Leliana are not romance options. While we know this may disappoint some fans who were interested in them, we don’t believe that they lose out, as each character engages in their own meaningful story.

We can’t wait for November, when you can finally meet these characters, help them tell their stories, and explore this enormous game with us.

Mike..

• Maugrim, Cat Lance, ELE08 and 435 others like this

HannibalSpectre

HannibalSpectre
  • Members
  • 1,109 posts
*Takes Cover*
  • Ammonite, Tamyn, Tempest329 and 37 others like this

Sylvianus

Sylvianus
  • Members
  • 6,925 posts

Thank you, Mike to come here and tell us the last LI with a whole post. Well this is interesting.

I'm disappointed about Vivienne, but it is what it is, kudos to Blackwall fans.  :)

• AllThatJazz, HiroVoid, LostInReverie19 and 26 others like this

Maria Caliban

Maria Caliban
  • Members
  • 25,979 posts
  • Mass Effect 3
Thanks for the information.
  • TheJediSaint, Pevesh and KC_Prototype like this

CrimsonHead

CrimsonHead
  • Members
  • 173 posts

And so it begins...

Potato Cat

Potato Cat
  • Members
  • 6,915 posts
Well the Vivienne news has left me distraught. At least I can still have Cullen as an elf.
  • Elite Midget, Demonique, Fizzie Panda and 4 others like this

Icy Magebane

Icy Magebane
  • Members
  • 6,543 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

Well, thanks for the info and the detailed explanation into your thought process... it shows that you guys care about the fans, and that's appreciated.

• Bowen Askani, cindercatz, SeekerOfLight and 8 others like this

Phate Phoenix

Phate Phoenix
  • Members
  • 4,284 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2 Mass Effect 3

Thank you, man.  <3 It's good to know.

[UNDER HER BREATH] So, Ashtal to the Iron Bull, and time to construct a Trevelyan. Okay.

• Volskygge and Aedan Amell like this

Apollexander

Apollexander
  • Members
  • 95 posts

Female elves are the most welcome :D

• LostInReverie19, Feryx, Estelindis and 15 others like this

Hydromatic

Hydromatic
  • Members
  • 872 posts

Quite dissapointed that there's 5 male romances and 3 females, but i pretty much only plan on romancing Cassandra, so i suppose i can deal with it.

Happy for the Blackwall lovers.

• Elite Midget, elfadelbosco, Mark of the Dragon and 5 others like this

Ninjasplaycardgames2

Ninjasplaycardgames2
  • Members
  • 999 posts

POPULAR

Blackwall was the core straight option all along... WHAT A TWIST!

• quickthorn, HiroVoid, Ammonite and 87 others like this

Hydromatic

Hydromatic
  • Members
  • 872 posts

Cullen is racist against dwarves confirmed.

• LostInReverie19, SurelyForth, Maferath and 22 others like this

Tahrie

Tahrie
  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins Dragon Age 2

WOO HOO!!  Blackwall.. Cullen.. Iron Bull.. oh yeah.

• Elite Midget, ericky, Bellethiel and 3 others like this

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 12,507 posts

When I started reading this there were only two posts. Something tells me there are now more than two posts.

Either way, thank you for this. Thank you so much.

• Dermain likes this

AniDragon

AniDragon
  • Members
  • 15 posts

Sad we can't romance Viv. :(

Happy for the Blackwall fans, though. But I'm gonna go cry in a corner.

• Demonique, Zarathiel, elfadelbosco and 2 others like this

TheLastSuperSaiyan87

TheLastSuperSaiyan87
  • Members
  • 1,940 posts

YES!!!!!!! Sera isn't race gated!!!!!!!

• Ammonite, LostInReverie19, Pevesh and 4 others like this

katerinafm

katerinafm
  • Members
  • 2,086 posts

I AM SO HAPPY!

THANK YOU! :D

WOOOOOO!

(for the Blackwall part, heh)

• elfadelbosco, PlasmaCheese, rapscallioness and 3 others like this

LobselVith8

LobselVith8
  • Members
  • 15,152 posts

Gracias for the information.

• Sylanaar likes this

TheLittleBird

TheLittleBird
  • Members
  • 4,696 posts
  • Dragon Age: Origins

Cullen is racist against dwarves confirmed.

I wouldn't call it 'racist'.

I was hoping for Vivienne to be a love interest, but I'm extremely glad that Blackwall is one, even if I'm a heterosexual male. His sounds like an awesome romance.

• GVulture, Senya, JeffZero and 8 others like this

Kingthlayer

Kingthlayer
  • Members
  • 1,357 posts

The Cullen gate surprises me the most, I get that he's a devout Andrastian and doesn't want to get with Heathen Dwarves and Qunari.  But the only Elven option is Dalish, by definition they are also Heathen.

Unless Cullen just hates people shorter and taller than him.

• LostInReverie19, drake2511, Ryzaki and 8 others like this

Yinello

Yinello
  • Members
  • 1,138 posts

Argh... Cullen. D=

Okay whatevs. Josephine/Blackwall/Iron Bull, here I come baby!

• Spaghetti_Ninja, PhoenixAeon, Alistair1525 and 1 other like this

Lee80

Lee80
  • Members
  • 1,877 posts

So strange, but I'm glad Dorian's not gated at least!   The rest of that news leaves something to be desired, but I guess I have to take the good news where I can get it!  On to making plans! 

• PhoenixAeon, Sunegami, Alistair1525 and 2 others like this

Panda

Panda
  • Members
  • 2,287 posts

I have none to romance with my female characters then. I'm very sad about this right now, I will get used to it I think but just thinking that my female qunaris have options just between old grey warden and Qunari who follows Qun and they are Tal-Vashoths is very sad.

At least my two male characters have someone then. I guess I will just play males then.

• AlleluiaElizabeth likes this

upsettingshorts

upsettingshorts
  • Members
  • 13,939 posts

POPULAR

Cullen only wants women who can plausibly roleplay as Circle mages in the bedroom.

• Polyhymnia, Mira, quickthorn and 173 others like this

Arakat

Arakat
  • Members
  • 262 posts

So, in a way they are plot choice-gated? Sounds great!

I also find it absolutely fascinating that Cullen is an additional romance.

• LostInReverie19, New Kid, PhoenixAeon and 2 others like this