Photo

PC Community Concerns

19127 replies to this topic

Mark Darrah

Mark Darrah
  • BioWare Employees
  • 55 posts

POPULAR

With the release of Dragon Age: Inquisition, we've been hearing a number of concerns from members of our PC community, including:

• Driver support
  • Hitching and frame rate issues in cutscenes
  • Feedback on keyboard and mouse controls
  • General user interface optimizations for PC

We've been following these issues closely and are looking into them.

Player experience is a top priority for us. Our goal is to address as many of these as possible in our upcoming patches, including some in our next patch, which is underway. We’ll release further details in the coming days and will continue to monitor your concerns.

Your feedback is important to us, and we appreciate your contribution to making Dragon Age: Inquisition a better overall experience.

UPDATE:

If you are having DirectX issues and you have an AMD Radeon graphics card, please update to the AMD Catalyst 14.11.2 beta driver.

We are aware of issues with certain NVidia graphic cards and we are working with NVIDIA for a solution.

Update: Patch 3 For PC

In the upcoming Patch 3 for Dragon Age: Inquisition, our primary focus was on fixing bugs, particularly ones that blocked progression or hampered the player experience.

Based on feedback from our players, we tweaked the banter system to be less random in order to prevent extra-long periods of silence. We fixed quest blockers in the personal quests of Dorian and Sera as well as a spawning issue in Solas’s personal quest (I won’t elaborate to avoid light spoilers).

We targeted several issues in multiplayer, fixing the case that caused keys to not drop, as well as fixing issues with the Reaver’s rampage ability. There were also some balance changes, including tweaks to the Demon Commander and the Strength of Spirits ability to make it more useful.

We added some much-requested features, including key binding that allows walking for PC and push-to-talk functionality in the multiplayer end of match summary and armor upgrade menus. We also added a new multiplayer Destruction route, and players can now challenge themselves in the fiery Elven Ruins.

You can find a comprehensive list of the upcoming fixes in Patch 3 for PC below. We’ll release more information on patches for consoles in the future, so stay tuned for more updates.

We continue to listen to feedback from our players, and we thank everyone for working with us to create an even better Dragon Age experience.

For patch notes in other languages, click here 

=============================

Dragon Age™: Inquisition 1.03

=============================

From a development standpoint, Patch 3 was a small, bug-fix only patch to address some high-frequency issues affecting the majority of our players.

General

Added key binding that allows players to walk.

Added mouse cursor scaling.

Fixed issue that could result in the mouse getting stuck in mouse-look mode when players alt-tabbed out of the game in full-screen mode.

Fixed display bars to correctly reflect items that alter maximum health.

Single-Player

Changed party banter system to be less random to prevent extra-long periods where no conversations would occur.

Fixed issue that could result in one of Dorian’s conversations not being available for some players.

Fixed issue that could result in a cutscene not firing for Dorian’s plot when players enter the Gull and Lantern.

Fixed issue that could result in Sera’s Verchiel plot being broken.

Fixed issue with the demon that could spawn during Solas’s personal quest.

Changed Tactical Camera so that it no longer re-centers when the player changes party members.

Fixed exploit that allowed for infinite influence.

Fixed issue that allowed players to exploit their gold value in single-player mode.

Fixed allied mage AI so they did not dispel targets that the player had frozen.

Fixed issue that caused the bar displaying armor rating to not update correctly for crafted gear.

Fixed issue that caused extra potions granted by items to be lost when players return to Skyhold.

Fixed issue that caused Mind Blast’s upgrade, Fortifying Blast, to not provide additional barrier.

Fixed issue that could result in the opt-in conversation UI continuing to be displayed if players opted out very quickly as the UI was starting to be displayed.

Fixed issue that could result in the world map being permanently displayed in the Storm Coast.

Fixed issue that could result in being unable to switch party members after looting.

Fixed issue that could result in party members not following orders to revive a party member in Tactical Camera mode.

Fixed issue that could result in people being unable to discover all the regions in the Exalted Plains.

Fixed issue that could cause dragons to become unresponsive.

Fixed issue that would cause dragons to freeze during their roar.

Fixed issue that could cause some conversations to be “hitchy.”

Fixed issue that could cause Varric’s legs to do odd things in some opt-in conversations.

Fixed Masterwork Prowler Armor so it no longer distorts on certain characters.

Fixed issue that could cause Harmon to disappear in certain circumstances.

Fixed a few non-herb crafting materials that were showing up in the Herbs section of the inventory. They are now correctly in the Other section.

Multiplayer

Enabled push-to-talk functionality in the multiplayer end of match screen.

Enabled push-to-talk in the multiplayer armor upgrade menu.

Fixed issue where changing multiplayer match settings would take effect without confirming changes.

Fixed issue that could result in players entering multiplayer matches without any mapped abilities in certain circumstances.

Fixed case that could cause keys to not drop in multiplayer mode.

Fixed issue that would cause the potion mapped to the first slot to also be used when pushing the 9 key in multiplayer mode.

Fixed issue that would cause the camera to spin at the end of a multiplayer match and not display the end of match screen.

Fixed issue in multiplayer mode that would result in the healing portion of Rampage to stop working in certain circumstances.

Tuned Strength of Spirits to be more useful in multiplayer mode.

Tweaked the balance of the Demon Commander in multiplayer mode.

Fixed issue that could result in items not displaying their cards when chests are opened in multiplayer mode.

Fixed issue that could cause pots to respawn in certain circumstances in multiplayer mode.

Update: Hotfix for Patch 2 Now Live

We have implemented a hotfix for Patch 2 on PC to address graphical issues our players have been experiencing. This fix ensures that the graphics settings are working correctly for everyone; however, players who are using lower graphics settings will notice changes to the visuals they are used to.

Before Patch 2, released December 9, shader quality for all PC users was being forced to run at Ultra. This impacted the performance of low-end machines and caused some unintended visual artifacts for users whose mesh quality was set lower than Ultra. As a result, users with Low or Medium mesh settings saw hair that was shinier than expected.

We attempted to address this in Patch 2 by binding the two settings so that mesh and shader quality were always the same. However, this fix wasn't properly implemented, and it forced shader quality to Low. We provided a command-line workaround Tuesday, but that still required players to ensure that the new shader quality matched their mesh settings.

This hotfix will correctly bind the mesh and shader settings and eliminate this issue. However, now that shader quality is being set correctly for everyone, players using lower settings will notice a decrease in the quality of visuals. This includes the removal of some features such as scars and freckles.

Most notably, the lower settings do not support blending of the age layer, so some users may notice that their Inquisitor (or custom Hawke) has aged considerably. And while this change is how it was originally intended to work, it could be understandably frustrating for people who created their characters before Patch 2.

If you would like to correct this change, you can set your mesh quality to High or Ultra. This will enable features that are disabled on lower settings, but may impact your framerate and performance.

We're sorry for any stress or confusion this may have caused, and we thank the community for helping us quickly identify and address this issue.

Patch Notes can be found here

• JobacNoor, AstroCat, Diva and 297 others like this

SwobyJ

SwobyJ
  • Members
  • 7,260 posts

Good to know :). Thanks for posting here.

EDIT FOR NEW READERS:

There will be a patch for

-XB360, PS3, PS4, PC today December 9th

-XBOne some time soon

It is termed 'Patch 2' (I suppose there was a Day 1 smaller patch), and there is confirmed to be at least one more, 'Patch 3' down the line (I'm presuming at some point in December or January).

There is also word of Bioware adding more to the game through the multiplayer, but also single player features that did not entirely make it in at launch. We'll see if this just means the whole Mass Effect 3 deal of 'free' MP DLC and paid SP DLC, or whether they mean something more akin to content patches that polish up the game in certain ways that may then be able to host what they perhaps plan for DLC. We'll see!

• ratcatfish, GRscorpion, BloodlyR and 3 others like this

Phnx

Phnx
  • Members
  • 263 posts

Well, thanks! :lol:

Silent Rogue

Silent Rogue
  • Members
  • 269 posts

Good to hear. This is a biggie guys. Please take it seriously. 

• ratcatfish, Clarian, bartoni33 and 21 others like this

Bioblitzer

Bioblitzer
  • Members
  • 1,264 posts

im looking forward to an update on the interface. pc controls are not great

• Balgin Stondraeg, rspanther, Vernholio and 14 others like this

scyme

scyme
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Thanks for the update

AdamTaylor

AdamTaylor
  • Members
  • 461 posts

Good to know you're aware of the issues. Hopefully in time you'll give us a patch for PC that lets us play the game making full use of mouse and keyboard, instead of the horrific console port crap we have to deal with now.

• craigdolphin, Neol Shendis, BittermanAndy and 32 others like this

HighChronicler

HighChronicler
  • Members
  • 73 posts

Sweet! Thank you so much!

Mykel54

Mykel54
  • Members
  • 1,180 posts

Thank you for the update, we appreciate it.

BloodyTalon

BloodyTalon
  • Members
  • 2,342 posts

Thanks for keeping people informed.

• Lilacs likes this

Brillobreaks

Brillobreaks
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Thanks, but could we get some idea what you're looking at fixing and when?  If this is gonna be like, 6 months of patching until keyboard and mouse is usable, people would like to know before the refund deadline.

• BittermanAndy, KrashLog, rspanther and 26 others like this

ZeshinX

ZeshinX
  • Members
  • 112 posts

Much appreciated, Mr. Darrah.  :)

• Feraele likes this

Surrogate

Surrogate
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Mr. Darrah,

Is there any information on when the first patch will be available and what concerns it will address?

• Lady Mutare, Kipperdee, Feraele and 6 others like this

apku

apku
  • Members
  • 5 posts

thank you

Tookah45

Tookah45
  • Members
  • 125 posts

I don't see anything in here about all PCs being considered female in dialogue, any word on that fix?

INB4 "toggle at character creation" because it doesn't work. A REAL fix is needed.

• The Guiscard likes this

Windev

Windev
  • Members
  • 10 posts

good to hear some good news

wrdnshprd

wrdnshprd
  • Members
  • 624 posts

if feedback was important.. why didnt you include a PC livestream every week with keyboard and mouse controls?

thus, i call this a PR move and nothing more.. sorry.

• BittermanAndy, Cyr8, Merlanni and 14 others like this

Fidite Nemini

Fidite Nemini
  • Members
  • 5,723 posts

Forgive me if I won't hold my breath until I see changes actually happening in form of patches. Marketing has become so undeserving of trust these last years that I won't be taking any statement, official or otherwise, at face value unless I can verify its content with actual results.

That said, I will also be holding my breath when it comes to talking about those issues, as I haven't exactly played the game yet (three more minutes, nggggg) and I am willing to adapt to a changed control scheme for as long as it is not completely shoehorned. Expect feedback once I got enough time to feel like giving constructive feedback. Until then I expect BioWare to treat my literal vocalization the same way I treat their marketing.

So, played a little bit and have to say that MP is so buggy it's borderline unplayable for me (crashes, and gamebreaking bugs like blank quickslots (no powers), etc. pp.) and that the m/k is indeed clunky and feels unrefined. And the so called tactical camera is a downgrade compared to DAO or even DAII. Hardly zoomes out to get a good picture and at various angles it's hard to properly see most things. The highlighting feature is also lackluster. Trying to find that one Elfroot between a couple trees is an exercise in patience that is unnecessary. That so far for my first impressions for controls and UI. Though I can say it's not as bad as I anticipated given the magnitude of complaints. It is unrefined, but not broken, meaning fixing is entirely in the scope of manageable.

• Roscaross, chomesoon74, Tally219 and 23 others like this

shedevil3001

shedevil3001
  • Members
  • 2,988 posts

cool to know it's been looked at, fingers crossed it might be sorted by the time the game is released over here in the uk, wish i could contribute more to help, sadly i still haven't had the pleasure of playing this awesome game yet, even with all the glitches and clunky controls i'm still excited to play :)

• Feraele and Freedheart like this

Bethgael

Bethgael
  • Members
  • 958 posts

POPULAR

if feedback was important.. why didnt you include a PC livestream every week with keyboard and mouse controls?

thus, i call this a PR move and nothing more.. sorry.

While I also appreciate a Bioware person finally saying something, I have to agree. If anyone--anyone in the development team with any PC RPG gaming experience had bothered to play with KB&M they would have immediately gone... "well, this is Not Good, guys, we need to fix this."

No autoattack? No click, mouse, character walks to loot? No full no-pause party support, even on "easy" and "normal"? No player-directed mouse binds? C'mon. It's not like you guys are new at this.

The fact that no streams using K&M were shown (and that the first people to get the game to play were console players) leads me to believe 1 of 2 things: someone did, said exactly that, and its clunkiness was deliberately hidden, or, 2, that no-one bothered. DA:O and DA2 were perfectly good PC-played games, and Bio should know better. I can play DA:O for hours and lose all the time in it (I've lost count of how many play throughs!) and yet after an hour of playing DA:I my hands were so sore I stopped.

I could put DA2 on "easy" and never ever pause and just sit back and enjoy the interactive combat. DA:O the only time I put it lower than normal was in the Fade (because it went faster! hehe). Telling us that we will have "fast and interactive combat with choice on PC" is not what is happening with K&M. Dying on the tutorial boss in normal multiple times because the interface is clunky and you can't even see the clicky hand on the rift when you have a gaming laptop in tactical? Priceless.

I expect so much better--and I, like others, would like to know specifics before the refund window closes, because as it stands now, I cannot play (and I am not going to buy a framming controller to play on my PC. "Controller support" =/= "must buy a controller", and should not).

Combined with the choppy play on a well-over-spec rig that runs other load-heavy games perfectly fine (loading takes SEVEN of RAM? Really?) and this is unacceptable, sorry.

I have never, EVER complained about a DA game in any bioware forum before. I've never felt the need. I expected it to be the same this time. Bugs, I expect. This sort of mislead? I do not. From EA, yes. From Bioware, no.

I really don't want to return the game if this will be fixed. I want to play your beautiful game! I want to complete my collection of blond-haired, brown-eyed boys! But, I am also leery of losing my AU$90 (thanks for the Australia tax, btw, guys), so I really need to know before that refund window closes. Please.

• Wompoo, loudenkl, Neol Shendis and 108 others like this

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Awesome to see some feedback from Bioware on this.

I'm buying the game as soon as the UI issues are worked out.

I didn't pre-order this time around because I wanted to see if there would be major issues with the game. There were.

The game seems to be great in all other aspects but I'll not subject myself to fighting controls during the few hours I have to play games these days.

• puppetmasterofyou, Feraele, Hair Serious Business and 3 others like this

RedTape

RedTape
  • Members
  • 3 posts

The game is completely unplayable right now with all the crashing....

• Merlanni, Mercedes-Benz, Ashpin and 13 others like this

adr750227

adr750227
  • Members
  • 45 posts

im still holding my money until you guys really come with the fixes...its kind of incredible you all would do such a thing intentionally...

• puppetmasterofyou, Feraele, Tajoumaru and 5 others like this

drakonlily

drakonlily
  • Members
  • 10 posts

So what are the REAL requirements for this to work on a PC? I suppose that's the question. Even suped up laptops are having issues. 

• Mercedes-Benz, Ashpin, Feraele and 2 others like this

SnQQpy

SnQQpy
  • Members
  • 64 posts

POPULAR

With the release of Dragon Age: Inquisition, we've been hearing a number of concerns from members of our PC community, including:

•  
  • Driver support
  •  
  • Hitching and frame rate issues in cutscenes
  •  
  • Feedback on keyboard and mouse controls
  •  
  • General user interface optimizations for PC
  •  

We've been following these issues closely and are looking into them.

Player experience is a top priority for us. Our goal is to address as many of these as possible in our upcoming patches, including some in our next patch, which is underway. We’ll release further details in the coming days and will continue to monitor your concerns.

Your feedback is important to us, and we appreciate your contribution to making Dragon Age: Inquisition a better overall experience.

Please keep everyone posted about your teams progress with solving these issues?

[edit 3] Because of the number of posts I have seen on these forums and the visitors specific to PC related issues I decided to tally them up and report the findings here - hoping that this would spark a response.

These are the results  but do not include smaller threads <500 views; There are now 8000+ posts on PC related issues and 700,000+ views of this and other PC threads on these forums. 460,584 views on this thread alone at the time of editing...

... Almost 3/4 of a million interested and perhaps frustrated PC players!

[edit 4] Its now been 20 days since the launch of the game and this is the 19th day that you wrote your OP for this thread. People have been extremely tolerant under the circumstances and simply want the best from their PC gaming experience. Perhaps you would NOW be kind enough to provide specific details of the planned patches and time-scales?

Edited by SnQQpy, 07 December 2014 - 04:58 PM.

• Gold Dragon, JPR1964, ergie and 47 others like this