Photo

No Drew Karpyshyn for Mass Effect 3?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

Borschtbeet

Borschtbeet
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts
I heard he is working on The Old Republic and that isn't due until 2011.

With such a belated release date, does that mean Drew isn't going to be involved with this game's writing at all?

Edited by Borschtbeet, 04 February 2010 - 11:44 PM.

AlbertoAquilani

AlbertoAquilani
  • Members
  • 737 posts
I'm sure he'll only work on the concept, considering he's busy on SW: TOR.

Orkboy

Orkboy
  • Members
  • 1,320 posts
Oh please God, let Drew be available for ME3, whilst ME2's writing wasn't awful, ME1's was far superior.

Borschtbeet

Borschtbeet
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts

Orkboy wrote...

Oh please God, let Drew be available for ME3, whilst ME2's writing wasn't awful, ME1's was far superior.

I agree.  I thought the gameplay, and dialogue was much improved in Mass Effect 2 but overall I still think Mass Effect 1 had a better plot.

Still, I think Mass Effect 2 is more fun to play.

Crackseed

Crackseed
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts
Well, mid-trilogy stories are generally the hardest to write IMO. Can't give away too much but have to provide enough impetus to move forward. There's room for improvement, but I think the formula/story implications created in ME2 are great. Can't wait to see how it wraps up!

Borschtbeet

Borschtbeet
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts
I thought the characters in Mass Effect 2 were exceptional. Only problem I had with the overall plot is I didn't really feel a sense of imminent doom like I did with the reapers in Mass Effect 1.

Even knowing what was at stake in Mass Effect 2(don't worry I won't spoil anything), I did not see any real imminent danger.

In Mass Effect 1, I truly felt that all life in the galaxy was truly hanging by a delicate thread.

Terror_K

Terror_K
  • Members
  • 4,362 posts
Drew's already done the main plot for the entire trilogy, since that was worked out before ME1 was even out. Whether he'll be returning to help with some details with ME3, I don't know.

Borschtbeet

Borschtbeet
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts
Also, his next book should be available in hardcover.

Crackseed

Crackseed
  • Members
  • 1,169 posts
There was enough "threat" for sure, but honestly, ME2 couldn't hit the fever pitch ME1 or ME3 will - it simply wouldn't work too well. The things we have to chase down in ME2 are dangerous enough but it's sort of the "Well, till we can figure out how to stop/find the bigger threat, get this thing handled" arc - it fit well enough. I wasn't expecting it to be the AMG rush of ME1 since ME1 was the intro story - we learned a ton of stuff since it was the first game. ME2 began to expand on this and flesh things out while prepping us for the insanity that will be ME3.

Mister Mage

Mister Mage
  • Members
  • 283 posts
Why are people comparing the stories for Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2? Drew Karpshyn had writing credits in both. Am I not getting something?

He better be writing, though. Next to Chris Avellone, he's the best writer in games right now.

Borschtbeet

Borschtbeet
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts
Mass Effect 2's story serves as a good transition from Mass Effect 1's and certainly sets up the potential for an extremely satisfying conclusion.

I think I was expecting too many conclusions from Mass Effect 2 and forgot to remind myself that this is supposed to be a trilogy.