Q: I bought the PC version, do I also own the Mac version? Or vice versa?
Hopefully this is clear but feel free to ask me (preferrably by posting in this thread so that others can see the answer to your problem as well! (Also thanks to DrMoebius and others for this information!)
Q: I bought the Mac version after I already own the PC version, can I move my characters over?
A: Yes. If you completed any of the DLC or extra content on the PC version that you don't have access to in whatever Mac version you bought then that content will NOT be ported over and depending on what it is it may cause your game to go wonky (the game warns you of this in fact). I have tested it only completing DLC that I did have on the mac side and that content carried over fine. But things like Return to Ostagar items and data may not have as easy a transition.
Also note that the files are located in your My Documents/Bioware/Dragon Age/Characters/ folder where you will find folders for all your characters, simply copy them over to your Documents/Bioware/Dragon Age/Characters folder on your mac and you should be good to go. For Mac to PC simply follow the reverse of these instructions, I'm still looking into ways to mirror the two so that you can play the same save games in both, i'll keep you posted.
Q: Can I use the online profiles feature?
A: Yes! But it doesn't quite work out of the box and can be difficult. If you're viewing this page then you should be able to get to the "My Games" menu on the sidebar to the left, and select the register game option. Just select the Dragon Age: Origins - PC option and enter your game's serial number. Voilà! You are now fully connected and able to post on these forums.
Q: What about DLC? And Mods? Patches?
A: An unfortunately trickier issue... First there are 4 kinds of extra content for Dragon Age:
- Official DLC requiring authorization - Most DLC are now available from Bioware, check the Games -> Dragon Age Origins -> Official DLC tab on this site or this link: Official DLC. The DLC packs included with the digital deluxe edition are not available but the workaround that we used for Ostagar back when it did not work should work for this too in a similar fashion. Follow the instructions at a later question below at your own risk!
- Official DLC NOT requiring authorization - Some DLC content (particularly the bonuses from playing the Dragon Age: Journey's flash game) does NOT require authorization from BioWare's servers and for this content you can use the same procedure as mods in the next section. For a list of this content see http://dragonage.wik...adable_Contents (which contains a checklist showing what needs authorized, what doesn't, and download links for all of it
- Community mods - Yes you can use mods like PC users! For mods (and the DLC above) you could do it manually but unless you take some sort of joy in hacking up XML files, Jhime created Modazipin to handle all your dazip files. For mods not using the .dazip format, such as overrides you should be able to follow the instructions that they give you for installing as to where to copy the files.
- Patches - All patches for PC are now available for mac!
A: Rejoice! It is now available for Mac at some mac selling digital distribution sites such as GamersGate and GameTree Online! No workarounds necessary.
Q: You said there is a way to get the DLC from the digital deluxe edition to work?
A: **NOTE** This guide is adapted from the same principles used to install Return to Ostagar before it was made available. This SHOULD work. But it is untested and I have no way to test it so swim at your own risk as it were. **END NOTE** Yes, and it's not exceedingly difficult but it DOES involve some hacking of xml files as well as paying for it before you've actually gotten it to work completely. Any messup here could bork your DLC or lose you real $$$, it's fairly easy but know the risks before you attempt this. This is not supported by BioWare and while people on the forum may help there are no guarantees of any kind from me or any of the people that discovered this solution as to recovering anything lost. Okay disclaimers over with let's get on with it!
- Go to the addons page on the Dragon Age site. Click on the PC button under either or both DLC (stone prisoner and Warden's keep). You will be taken to BioWare's online point purchasing checkout. Buy the appropriate number of BioWare points (or buy them from the EA store or wherever you choose to get them). **Note** - If you are migrating from the PC side and already have the deluxe edition you do not need to buy it again, nor should you be able to buy it again, you will just need to follow the instructions to install and activate it.
- Now to download the content Warden's Keep and the Stone Prisoner are made up of two parts: an Offer and an Addin. To get both files you can go to the bioware forums here, or the dragon age wikia here. Remember to get BOTH the offer file and the addin for both if you are installing both of them
- To install both the Addin and Offer .dazip files you can just use the most excellent Modazipin by Jhime.
- Now you need to open up your game. Check the Downloadable Content page, and your Installed Content tab. You should see Return to Ostagar listed and under Game Version: nothing should be listed. It will likely also say something about unauthorized there or at some point but just ignore it for now. Now all you need to do is authorize it and spend your BioWare points. There are 2 ways to do this but note that you do NOT need to do both, doing so may charge you twice (though unlikely since you have to spend points but just fair warning).
- The first way is in-game: First make certain you are logged in (bottom left on the main menu) and travel to the new DLC location or talk to the guy in your camp. Play through the dialog and the "events" that occur around it and at some point the game will ask if you want to "download additional content" say yes and your bioware points will be spent (we already did the downloading portion so there won't be any downloading happening). If you still can't talk to the person or proceed log out and then log back in and it should work. Now the DLC Should be fully unlocked for you!
- The second way is by going to: http://social.bioware.com/page/da1-dlc and choosing to "buy" it for PC, I cannot confirm but it might also give you a download link that way, but this should work to buy it for your account.
(I'd like to point out that this FAQ draws from various sources of info many of whom are users on this forum, Thank you all so much for your help!)
Edited by ilkelma, 15 September 2010 - 12:33 AM.