Photo

Free Camera Mod

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

Joseph_Anthony

Joseph_Anthony
  • Members
  • 19 posts
Hey all,

I am getting into DA again and, having had a quite a bit of experience modding some other games in the past I figured I'd try and do something here.  I'm very interested in attempting to create a mod that, at best, allows for a free camera toggle (i.e. a flying camera similar to those in FPS games while you wait for your character to respawn).  That said I have no experience modifying the Eclipse engine and would like feedback from other users.  I've searched google, modding sites, and the forums here and haven't found any information on the subject.  Also, the developer console doesn't seem to have any useful functions for this sort of thing.  
    So the question is, is anyone aware of whether this information hardcoded (and thus inaccessible to us modders), or has anyone seen something perhaps in the toolset that would be of use for this kind of thing?   Thanks in advance for feedback -- I'm going to continue researching the topic.

NobillyT

NobillyT
  • Members
  • 21 posts
I just came back to these forums after several months, hoping for a camera mod, but so far there has been nothing. It's interesting the top post at the time is about the issue that concerned me most with the game (aside from the HUGH JASS freakin' clown hands the character models have...what up with that?) I've put this game on the shelf for months now (gotta be since mid December or so), being fed up with the camera. Luckily, there have been lots of other good games to occupy my time. If someone could make the strategic camera be able to zoom out further, that would be awesome. Good luck to you on this endeavor.

Edited by NobillyT, 23 March 2010 - 01:56 AM.

Joseph_Anthony

Joseph_Anthony
  • Members
  • 19 posts
Haha, I'm in a very similar situation Nobilly.

I've been looking into what can and can't be done regarding this (mostly reading the wiki on the toolset). If a direct method for editing the existing camera parameters exists, I can't find it currently. I did however have one idea for a sort of backwards and makeshift way of going about the free camera toggle idea:

Creating a spell/ability that gives you control of an invisible character that somehow can move on the z-axis in addition to along the ground... not sure if the z-axis movement is possible though. The idea however is that you would have full control of a camera without being restricted to maneuvering your actual party members' locations or having your view obscured by a character model. The character could be added to a hidden character slot though in your party, tentatively.

I'm still really interested on getting feedback and perhaps some ideas from users more experienced with the software though.

EDIT: Since I've more or less announced the project I'm going to start a topic about it on the General Discussion board so the design aspects can be discussed more openly.

Edited by Joseph_Anthony, 23 March 2010 - 02:27 AM.

Nattfodd

Nattfodd
  • Members
  • 321 posts
I have this mod in my "to do" list. So if you get any progress, i'm intersted to follow your project.

cipher86

cipher86
  • Members
  • 1,551 posts
Any news, or is this a lost cause?