Photo

Mass Effect 2 PS3 patch notes, freezing and saved game issue work around

1871 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,259 posts
Hello everyone

First, we are sorry some of you have had problems playing Mass Effect 2 on the Playstation 3 and want to thank you all for providing feedback on our forums on both the freezing and resulting save game issue that some of you have experienced. The information and support you have provided has helped the development team to build the latest patch. We’re currently testing the patch thoroughly, we expect to be finished our quality passes on Friday.  This patch is then being delivered to Sony ASAP for verification and distribution. We will announce as soon the patch is available.  Please see the below patch notes for a complete list of what will be included:

Patch Notes
-Fixed a crash related to memory fragmentation. This fix will also resolve the crashing that corrupted Save Games.
-Slightly improved load times and level streaming.
-Added some telemetry to better improve future titles.
-Updated some strings to fix spelling mistakes (Sorry Kaidan!)
-Fixed the picture frame in Shepard’s Cabin to accurately reflect your love interest choices in Mass Effect: Genesis.
-Fixed a rare crash in the PSN version in Shepard’s Cabin.

We want you to be able to continue playing while you wait for the patch. While data and telemetry have shown that very few people have seen this issue, we know a few of you here have experienced this problem.  There is a very simple work around to ensure  the freezing and corruption issues are minimized. Simply restart your game every few hours. By shutting down and restarting your game, you will not encounter the corrupted save issue.”

Once again, thank you for your feedback which has helped us get to a resolution. :)

:devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 26 January 2011 - 11:29 PM.

ObserverStatus

ObserverStatus
  • Members
  • 19,046 posts
I just hope the patch doesn't take as long as the "Witch Hunt" patch to get approved <_<

Edited by bobobo878, 26 January 2011 - 11:35 PM.

Dragonfan8574

Dragonfan8574
  • Members
  • 201 posts
Awesome thanks for the update chris and keeping us informed! The only thing i noticed that is missing is the out of sync audio issues will this patch help at all with that? Other then that thanks for making a quick fix and keep up the good work mass effect 2 is an awesome game and looking forward to 3!

Rinaldus

Rinaldus
  • Members
  • 17 posts
Awesome, glad to see that you guys are taking this so seriously, and will likely release a patch within the week. Also happy to see the patch fixes other slight problems within the game. So yeah, thanks a bunch for the update Chris, Bioware definitely still up there as one of my favorite developers.

BringerOfChaos

BringerOfChaos
  • Members
  • 435 posts
Nothing in the patch notes about the NG+ glitch.

Guest_Brodyaha_*

Guest_Brodyaha_*
  • Guests

Chris Priestly wrote...

-Updated some strings to fix spelling mistakes (Sorry Kaidan!)

Thank you.

And I mean that sincerely.  

:)

Shiratori

Shiratori
  • Members
  • 634 posts
Thank you for working hard and fixing the more serious issues in the game.  Sincerely as well.  :)

Edited by Shiratori, 26 January 2011 - 11:44 PM.

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts
I'm glad to see Chris Priestly apologizing to Kaidan! XD

This is terrific. Absolutely excellent news.

SR3

SR3
  • Members
  • 21 posts
Thank you for not only the patch, but also the communication.

Guest_Brodyaha_*

Guest_Brodyaha_*
  • Guests

SR3 wrote...

Thank you for not only the patch, but also the communication.

Yes, this too.  It is awesome to hear from you guys.

h1m616

h1m616
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Oh thank you :happy: My data hasnt been corrupted (yet) I've made a copy of it to my usb dick.. Everytime i've tried to load it freezes & I have to restart my ps3, but when I check my saved data on the ps3 there is no corruption' so im just leaving my ps3 off until this patch it up! Will I be able to continue as normal, when I get the patch? :o 24 hour's into the game, well I was :(

Edited by h1m616, 26 January 2011 - 11:54 PM.

AnoHeartilly

AnoHeartilly
  • Members
  • 25 posts
Awesome, glad to see the promt reply, and updating us on the situation.

On another note, do you know if there is ANY possibility that our corrupted data can be restored? Or is it just a case of starting over and hoping it doesn't happen again?

KidCudi

KidCudi
  • Members
  • 20 posts
yeah, what about the New Game Plus fix, I want my weapons

EDIT - and the sound being out-of-sync in most cutscenes?

Edited by KidCudi, 27 January 2011 - 12:03 AM.

LiLAsN

LiLAsN
  • Members
  • 44 posts
 Thank you very much Chris! [smilie]http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/grin.png[/smilie]
And the patch to hopefully be arriving this Friday? Now that  is fast! Thank you so much Bioware! [smilie]http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/love.png[/smilie]
I hope those patches will fix this?
www.youtube.com/watch
(I call it, the titleTxt of doom! B))
It happens quite often. :crying:

Reginthorn

Reginthorn
  • Members
  • 223 posts
Yee haw thanks for the quick fix!

PapaLongLegs

PapaLongLegs
  • Members
  • 56 posts

h1m616 wrote...

Oh thank you :happy: My data hasnt been corrupted (yet) I've made a copy of it to my usb dick.. Everytime i've tried to load it freezes & I have to restart my ps3, but when I check my saved data on the ps3 there is no corruption' so im just leaving my ps3 off until this patch it up! Will I be able to continue as normal, when I get the patch? :o 24 hour's into the game, well I was :(

Your small spelling mistake at the end of your first sentence made me lol off my chair.

Anyway thanks Chris Priestley for fixing the issues at hand! Roll on Friday. Once this is fixed its time to correct the out of sync audio and New Game + problems, but really thanks for all the support, and I understand that you have your priorities right fixing these issues first.

Come to think of it guys: "-Slightly improved load times and level streaming." might well fix the out of sync issue as it is caused by a framerate drop.

Edited by PapaLongLegs, 27 January 2011 - 12:18 AM.

h1m616

h1m616
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Eeek USB dick lmao! better edit that one.. B) Can anyone tell me if I can carry on my save as normal?  :huh:

Edited by h1m616, 27 January 2011 - 12:19 AM.

EnchantedEyes1

EnchantedEyes1
  • Members
  • 542 posts
Thank you so much!!! As hard as it was to lose my Shepard, knowing that a patch is coming really means alot!

johnny532

johnny532
  • Members
  • 82 posts
Thanks for the the patch but what about the horrible PS1 quality pixelated ground textures and terrain clipping issues in the Overlord mission?

Wh1teRaven

Wh1teRaven
  • Members
  • 13 posts
Will we have to start a new game?

Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien

Sir Ulrich Von Lichenstien
  • Members
  • 5,177 posts
Thanks for the update, Chris. Hopefully once you've passed it over to Sony they'll get it distributed ASAP like you say. :)

With regards what johnny532 has stated, is that issue being picked up in the telemetry stuff? Just wondering because I've witnessed the same horrible issue. It was only in the 'main' hammerhead area, Vulcan and Prometheus areas were ok IIRC, so am hoping that can be fixed because I remember how nice that area was on the PC version (even with a 'minimum requirement' settings PC)

JGray

JGray
  • Members
  • 66 posts
Thank you!

Jesse Houston

Jesse Houston
  • Members
  • 221 posts

AnoHeartilly wrote...
On another note, do you know if there is ANY possibility that our corrupted data can be restored? Or is it just a case of starting over and hoping it doesn't happen again?

We're still investigating this but it looks unlikely as the data is lost by an incomplete write action when the game runs out of allocatable blocks large enough. 

Jenova65

Jenova65
  • Members
  • 3,454 posts
That's great, Chris, thanks for keeping us informed. It is quite buggy atm..... The HH gets irrevocably stuck in the scenery, I mean literally. Also is it just one of those things (first play through romancing Jacob) Kasumi has made me paranoid that I did something wrong because she keeps talking about Jacob being back on the market. It isn't something I have come across before as I remain faithful in 99% of my games but want to experience different story arcs. So if someone can confirm that Kasumi isn't as in touch as she thinks she is that would be super.... Or at least that I just have a dialogue glitch. Anyway thought I would mention it in case it is something that needs looking at :-)

Thanks again, nice to see that BioWare are working tirelessly to fix things.

Timewarpia Man

Timewarpia Man
  • Members
  • 6 posts
To be fair the response has been better then 2K who appreantly responded by banning anyone who dared to pick holes at Mafia 2.