Photo

Updated June 23: Important Information for BioWare & EA Account Holders

333 replies to this topic

Aaryn Flynn

Aaryn Flynn
  • BioWare Employees
  • 7 posts
We are continuing our investigation of the unauthorized intrusion of the decade-old BioWare server system supporting the Neverwinter Nights forums.  As we previously stated, we have determined that no credit card data was compromised from the servers, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. Our investigation shows that information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from accounts on the server system associated with Neverwinter Nights may have been compromised. Accordingly, in an abundance of caution, we are emailing those whose accounts were potentially affected and either disabling their forum accounts or resetting their EA Account passwords.

We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused our customers and fans. If your username, email address and/or password on your Neverwinter Nights account are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing your password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-877-357-6007. Aaryn FlynnStudio GM, BioWare EdmontonVP, Electronic Arts

Updated FAQ: http://support.ea.co...tail/a_id/5367/

JUNE 15 POST
Yesterday (June 14), we learned that a hacker gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare community server system associated with the Neverwinter Nights forums.  We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers’ data and launched an ongoing evaluation of the seriousness of the breach.  We have determined that no credit card data was compromised, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers.  However hackers may have obtained information such as user account names and passwords, email addresses, and birth dates of approximately 18,000 accounts--a very small percentage of total users.  We have emailed those whose accounts may have been compromised and either disabled their accounts or reset their EA Account passwords. If you did not receive an email from us, or if your password still works for your EA account, your username and password were not compromised.  Nevertheless, changing your password regularly is always helpful to protect your account.

We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you.  If your username, email address and/or password on the Neverwinter Nights forums are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing your password at those sites as well.  We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-866-543-5435.  

Aaryn Flynn
Studio GM, BioWare Edmonton
VP, Electronic Arts

http://support.ea.co...tail/a_id/5367/

Edited by Aaryn Flynn, 23 June 2011 - 07:36 PM.

NOD-INFORMER37

NOD-INFORMER37
  • Members
  • 1,566 posts
I literally JUST got the email, thanks for the warning, I'm a little paranoid after the whole PSN incident. Plus I was going to change my password anyway, so its all good. :D

I also think I'm the first one to notice the email, thats something to be proud of I guess lol

Edited by NOD-INFORMER37, 16 June 2011 - 07:10 AM.

Elhanan

Elhanan
  • Members
  • 18,611 posts
Thanks for the info!

Liyros

Liyros
  • Members
  • 528 posts
This is new, appreciate the heads up.

Xaero_Dumort

Xaero_Dumort
  • Members
  • 73 posts
What is it with this whole string of hackings? What is anybody who is doing this getting out of this? Thanks for the quick and concise heads up.

Vez04

Vez04
  • Members
  • 4,266 posts
This is seriously starting to be ridicolous, first it was PSN, than Eidos (DE:HR), than Codemasters, than Bethesda, Nintendo and Epic Games. Whats next?! CD Project Red?!. F****** hackers i wanna kill them!

Edited by Vez04, 16 June 2011 - 08:53 AM.

gutty47

gutty47
  • Members
  • 892 posts
Oh well... now only three copies of my information is floating around the interwebs.
I wonder where the fourth copy will come from.

Bryzon

Bryzon
  • Members
  • 231 posts
This night just keeps getting worse. Went ahead and changed my passwords associated with EA/Bioware, but I have a feeling that the damage is already done.

Zulithe

Zulithe
  • Members
  • 1 posts
Thankfully I was not effected (this time). I was definitely burned by the Sony and Gawker Media hacks. How about storing the data in such a way that compromising the data would be near useless? 2011 and massive password leaks are still happening... sheesh.

RedHawk89

RedHawk89
  • Members
  • 67 posts
This is a serious matter, and I am glad to see BioWare is taking the appropriate steps to correct it. What I really want to know though...is what the F*** these people are thinking. video game sites? Really??!

Julian Gellert

Julian Gellert
  • Members
  • 18 posts
Ooh thanks for the heads up. Weren't CD Keys stored there?

MrDizazta

MrDizazta
  • Members
  • 1,937 posts
I am getting sick and tired of the mutha effin' hackers hacking video game sites. Seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Nazcret

Nazcret
  • Members
  • 3 posts
i was hacked qq

Xephyr829

Xephyr829
  • Members
  • 1,015 posts
Wow. Another hack attempt. :(

EMailakaSrFox

EMailakaSrFox
  • Members
  • 122 posts
I dont think I was compromised, but I really dont get this type of hack, I understand hacking sony and others as they had vocally challenged the hackers. But game sites?

Hel

Hel
  • Members
  • 420 posts
This is getting ridiculous. Don't these people have anything better to do with their spare time?!

Baaleos

Baaleos
  • Members
  • 1,331 posts
<< Also got the e-mail

Saying that, if the Company becomes more secure as result of the attack, then all the better.
Grow, Adapt, Change etc

Question - How do I go about getting the CDKeys that I had registered on the Bioware Forums if my account is now gone.

I lost my manual/boxes along time ago, and the bioware boards was considered a safe haven at the time for me to store the information.

Is it possible that the hackers stole my CDKEYS too?
Can Bioware replace these?

Edited by Baaleos, 16 June 2011 - 09:25 AM.

Chairon de Celeste

Chairon de Celeste
  • Members
  • 720 posts
Sick sports for sick sports sake is the motivation of such crackers.
I'd almost hazard a bet they were after pre-goldmaster games.

Glad it wasn't something major like the cracked hl2 data
(with all the consequences for titles like vtm bloodlines
back then).

Edited by Chairon de Celeste, 16 June 2011 - 09:50 AM.

Fredvdp

Fredvdp
  • Members
  • 6,186 posts
What's gonna happen about product keys? I already asked EA for a new key for Bring Down the Sky since I can no longer find it online, but there should be a more elegant solution. Since BdtS is free DLC they might as well make an installer that doesn't require a key.

steej

steej
  • Members
  • 396 posts
<RANT>
Oh my GOD!!!

These fracking ****s! Why dont they just die!!!

Come here and try and hack my fists you ****S!
</RANT>

Also, do we need to change our BioWare Store detaisl too?  'cos i cant find out how to do it.
Posted Image

Edited by steej, 16 June 2011 - 10:50 AM.

Highlor3

Highlor3
  • Members
  • 103 posts
What will be of our CD keys?

Galumn

Galumn
  • Members
  • 1 posts

EMailakaSrFox wrote...

I dont think I was compromised, but I really dont get this type of hack, I understand hacking sony and others as they had vocally challenged the hackers. But game sites?

An analyse said Game sites are the target because they contain a lot of personal information but the security is not as good as financial sites. (link)

...hackers need to find a forum that's going to connect with as many people as possible, and the sweet spot is gaming. Millions of people are connected online via games, and these aren't like online banks: the security isn't as good, yet you give them a lot of personal details.

Edited by Galumn, 16 June 2011 - 12:06 PM.

passionata

passionata
  • Members
  • 81 posts
Ohh my it really gets annoying with the recent hacks. I have one question regarding this hack:

How can I find out if my account was compromised if the mailserver I used to register my account way back then does not exist anymore?

Checked the EA support site but there is only a phonenumber which will be expensive calling it from Europe...

Who should I mail or write a PM on the boards?
Was my account not compromised if I can use my known credentials to log into NWN masterserver?

I ask because I never migrated the old account to EA and instead created this one I am writing from now when I bought DA:O UE...

Ardescos

Ardescos
  • Members
  • 2 posts
I wonder if my personal details have not become quite worthless after the PSN and Codemasters network leak ;-)

Baaleos

Baaleos
  • Members
  • 1,331 posts
We kept our CDKeys on the Bioware site, because they were allegedly secure, and convenient.

Now, there exists a real possibility that CDKeys have been stolen by other people, and could end up surfacing on Torrent Sites etc.

CDKeys are crucial for online play, and without them, games like Neverwinter Nights wont let you play online.

If your CDKey is in use by another player, it effectively prevents you from playing online.

Bioware is obligated, Legally!!, to tell us straight.... Was CDKey information stored in the same location as the Personal Information, and is there a chance that the CDKeys were taken?

If the CDKeys were potentially taken, they should be de-activated, and replaced by Bioware. End Off.

This is Bioware's failing, we as consumers shouldnt be made to suffer for inadequete security.