Photo

Origin and Mass Effect 3

5521 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,259 posts
Below are answers to the most commonly asked questions about Origin and Mass Effect 3. Thank you for your patience as we have worked to answer them.

1) Will Origin be a requirement to play all versions of Mass Effect 3? (Digital and/or from a retail brick and mortar store)
Yes, Origin is required for all PC editions of Mass Effect 3, physical or digital.

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

3) Is Origin required for the retail versions of the game?
Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital.

4) Will ME3 be available on Steam?
During initial release Mass Effect 3 will be available on Origin and a number of other 3rd party digital retailers, but not on Steam at this time. Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content.  We are intent on providing Mass Effect to players with the best possible experience no matter where they purchase or play their game, and are happy to partner with any download service that does not restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers.

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection? 
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware.  Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines.  In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder.   This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process. 

7) Has the Origin EULA been updated following recent questions in Germany?
The German Origin EULA has been updated.  For more information, please review the Origin EULA here: http://www.ea.com/1/product-eulas.

8) Is there a double-opt in for Mass Effect 3 marketing emails for German residents?
Yes, we always adhere to the German requirement of a double opt-in standard for marketing emails.  Mass Effect 3 users must opt-in twice to receive these emails.

I appreciate everyone's patience on this topic. Please continue to ask questions about Mass Effect 3 and Origin and I will continue to try to get the answers for you.

:devil:

Edited by Chris Priestly, 13 January 2012 - 09:52 PM.

Guest_PDesign_*

Guest_PDesign_*
  • Guests
Thanks for update.

Weskerr

Weskerr
  • Members
  • 1,538 posts
Pre-order cancelled.

Doctalen

Doctalen
  • Members
  • 1,910 posts
Here comes the **** storm. Quick everyone take one

Posted Image

Edited by Doctalen, 13 January 2012 - 11:34 PM.

Sgt Stryker

Sgt Stryker
  • Members
  • 2,590 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

6) I’ve seen reports that Origin is spyware.  Is this true?
Origin is not spyware, and does not use or install spyware on user’s machines.  In order to allow Origin to install games and their patches for everyone to use, Origin implements a permission change that results in Windows, not Origin, reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder.   This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process. 

And what about the reports that Origin "reviews the filenames" of the contents of the rest of one's hard drive, not just the ProgramData/Origin folder?

Unpleasant Implications

Unpleasant Implications
  • Members
  • 1,044 posts
My word, I wasn't expecting the Origin issue to end until late February. This is... a nice surprise.

Ryzaki

Ryzaki
  • Members
  • 34,427 posts
...and so much for that.

*sighs*

You know...I fail to see why *I* as someone who buys boxed games should be forced to have a DD game service that I'm never gonna use hogging space on my comp. I hate it with Steam and I hate it with this.

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,259 posts

Sgt Stryker wrote...
And what about the reports that Origin "reviews the filenames" of the contents of the rest of one's hard drive, not just the ProgramData/Origin folder?

Please provide an example of these reports, other than just rumor and hearsay, and I will investigate them with our Origin team. They may just be rumors, but I will investigate if you have a valid source.

Edited by Chris Priestly, 13 January 2012 - 11:34 PM.

Immelman

Immelman
  • Members
  • 80 posts
Crap.

Edited by Immelman, 13 January 2012 - 11:36 PM.

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,259 posts

Immelman wrote...

Yay!! Dont need origin on for SP, thank god, an thanks for the info Mr. Priestly.

Origin is required for any PC version of Mass Effect 3. Single or multiplay. Physical or digital edition.

Wardka

Wardka
  • Members
  • 179 posts
Guess I won't be seeing the end of Shepard's adventures after all.

Thanks for the update, guys. I won't be installing Origin on my system, so you lost yourselves a sale.

Edit: Thinking about it, perhaps not just a sale. If this is the way it's going to be going forward - with the last part of a trilogy having a requirement to sell my personal privacy and computer security - I will be thinking long and hard about buying any EA/BioWare games at all, which makes me sad.

Edited by Wardka, 13 January 2012 - 11:43 PM.

Tyrannosaurus Rex

Tyrannosaurus Rex
  • Members
  • 10,800 posts
Do  you have start ME3 from the origin menu or can you just start the game up without needing to log into your origins account?

Mims

Mims
  • Members
  • 4,395 posts
Thanks for the clear information. I'll be passing this on to my PC bros.

Guest_PDesign_*

Guest_PDesign_*
  • Guests

Chris Priestly wrote...

Sgt Stryker wrote...

Please provide an example of these reports, other than just rumor and hearsay, and I will investigate them with our Origin team. They may just be rumors, but I will investigate if you have a valid source.

"You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services," 

"EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services," the section continues. "We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."

Edited by PDesign, 13 January 2012 - 11:38 PM.

OmegaBlue0231

OmegaBlue0231
  • Members
  • 754 posts
Go 360 and PS3!

Gabriel S.

Gabriel S.
  • Members
  • 982 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

2) Is constant Origin connection required or is it a single one off authentication when the game is first installed. Is there also a limit to the number of installations available?
Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer will require a constant connection.

This is really the only thing that interested me. As always, this is good news.

anzolino

anzolino
  • Members
  • 1,070 posts
Thanks for the update. I'm out of Mass Effect.

Chris, the German documents are here: http://www.ea.com/de/1/dokumente

Sgt Stryker

Sgt Stryker
  • Members
  • 2,590 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

Sgt Stryker wrote...

Where's Gatt9 when we need him....

Saberdark

Saberdark
  • Members
  • 161 posts
I can't understand why anybody would be surprised by this. All EA games on the PC are going to require Origin going forward. I would have thought people would figure that out when BF3 came out.

@PDesign
That's not proof. Just because they have the right to do something doesn't mean they actually do it.

Edited by Saberdark, 13 January 2012 - 11:41 PM.

ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel
  • Members
  • 3,716 posts
I already have Origin installed and I personally have no issues with it. Thanks for the update.

The King of Dust

The King of Dust
  • Members
  • 635 posts
Ah well, no ME3 for me. At least not until a DRM-Free version is released.

Weskerr

Weskerr
  • Members
  • 1,538 posts

Chris Priestly wrote...

5) Is there an opt in or opt out clause for data collection? 
Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game.

Mass Effect 3 data collection... what about other kinds of data collection?

Edit: Shouldn't an announcement as important as this be stickied?

Edited by Weskerr, 13 January 2012 - 11:43 PM.

Dovahzaan

Dovahzaan
  • Members
  • 120 posts
That means no ME 3 for me.

ifander

ifander
  • Members
  • 238 posts
Well, this sucks. Forcing Origin to increase its install base, pretty douchey of them.

I assume one can uninstall Origin once the game is activated? This is the case with other Origin games at least.

Drunken_Soviet

Drunken_Soviet
  • Members
  • 219 posts
This is the reason why I prefer the 360/PS3 over the PC