Photo

Mark Darrah on the conclusion of Dragon Age II

2816 replies to this topic

Chris Priestly

Chris Priestly
  • Members
  • 7,259 posts
I am posting the below message on behalf of Mark Darrah, Executive Producer of Dragon Age II

Hey everyone,

With last week marking the one year anniversary of the release of Dragon Age II, I wanted to take the time to share some news and some great milestones we’ve had lately with Dragon Age.  And though I can’t say too much, I also want to briefly address what is coming in the future.

First, I was delighted to hear that the Dragon Age brand has passed one million “Likes” on Facebook!  This was an incredible reminder for me, and our entire team, that there are a lot of  you out there who are invested in the franchise and who want to explore the world more. From all of us, I want to send a massive thank you!

Next, the latest and greatest patch for DAII is out, addressing a number of the issues you have helped us track on our tech support forums. Thank you again to those of you who took the time to submit feedback in order to help us make the game better. 

And finally, while we will still be keeping an eye out for any issues that might crop up in DAII and supporting the community should any emergencies should arise, we’re moving the entire team’s focus to the next phase of Dragon Age’s future.

You’ve most certainly heard the rumors floating around, and unfortunately I can’t really comment on them.  However, what I can say is that we’ve been thinking a lot about Dragon Age – what it means, and where it could go.  This past year, we’ve spent a lot of time both going back to the “BioWare vault” of games and re-examining them, and looking at some new possibilities that today’s industry allows.

With that, the next thing for the Dragon Age team members and I to do is hear from you, and not just on the forums, or Facebook, or Twitter.  We’ll be attending a number of conventions and gatherings, including PAX East in April.  The most valuable thing we can get out of those meetings is to hear from you on those same topics – what does Dragon Age mean to you, and where would you like to see it go?  We’re excited to hear what you have to say!
On behalf of the entire team, we are incredibly eager to reach the moment when we can tell you more and show you where we are taking Dragon Age.  But for now, thank you for your continued support, and we will be back here with more as soon as we can.

Thanks,
Mark

Edited by Chris Priestly, 19 March 2012 - 02:58 PM.

• EmperorKarino likes this

TEWR

TEWR
  • Members
  • 16,995 posts
So I assume DAII DLC is done for.

No more Merrill or Varric makes me sad.
  • uzivatel and EmperorKarino like this

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts
Sorry Mark, I am entirely done with Dragon Age after DA2 threw the successful formula established in DAO out the window and I do not plan on buying DA3 either.
  • dekarserverbot likes this

Esbatty

Esbatty
  • Members
  • 3,760 posts
It was a great ride. I am very excited for more DA installments!

grrrr_shark

grrrr_shark
  • Members
  • 3 posts
Ok, so I wanted more DLC and all, but the words "next phase" and "future" make me feel all warm and fuzzy, so YAY.

Probably like the possibility of a heroin hit makes a junkie feel all warm and fuzzy, but there you have it ;)

Proviant_germany

Proviant_germany
  • Members
  • 268 posts
Would like so see more DA 1 in DA 3 like armor for all chars and unlimited specializations for NPCs ^_^

Shanook

Shanook
  • Members
  • 324 posts
HOORAY! :D

Although, yes, like everyone else, I'm sad about no more DLC. :(

PinkShoes

PinkShoes
  • Members
  • 1,268 posts
I dont think a bad game means the series is dead. Sure i didnt like DA2 very much but i got some fun out of it and i trust that Bioware can make a great game like DAO was to me and many others. I hope that Bioware shows to all those who say DA3 is going to suck that they know how to make an epic game.

TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger
  • Members
  • 702 posts
Thanks for the post! I'm looking forward to seeing what you guys are going to do next. ^_^

The Ethereal Writer Redux wrote...

Hmm, I always wanted to see a DA2 expansion, similiar to Awakening. But ah well. :P

hansamurai

hansamurai
  • Members
  • 14 posts

CRISIS1717 wrote...

Sorry Mark, I am entirely done with Dragon Age after DA2 threw the successful formula established in DAO out the window and I do not plan on buying DA3 either.

You're so entirely done with Dragon Age that you're talking about Dragon Age on a Dragon Age forum.
  • uzivatel and EmperorKarino like this

Huntress

Huntress
  • Members
  • 2,464 posts
..."next phase of Dragon Age’s future." Bye to Hawke and the rest you will all be missed alot! (by me) And really hoping to meet ya'll in the future!!..

I think this is going to be harder that how I felt with the warden, really liked the voiced Main-character.

Thank you Bioware! it was a great experience and totally waiting for what PAX east is going to bring to the table.
  • Wasteland likes this

Mark Darrah

Mark Darrah
  • BioWare Employees
  • 55 posts
Sorry to hear that CRISIS1717, hopefully you will hear something in the future to change your mind.

Fredvdp

Fredvdp
  • Members
  • 6,187 posts
Just remember what Miyamoto said. "A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever."

I like DA2 but it contains a lot of missed opportunities. It could have been great but you settled for okay and that's not what I expected from BioWare. If EA allows it, take your time on the next one.

Also don't forget to read feedback from other BioWare titles. If you had read fan reactions on Mass Effect, you'd have known recycling environments was a bad idea.

Edited by Fredvdp, 19 March 2012 - 03:37 PM.

CRISIS1717

CRISIS1717
  • Members
  • 1,597 posts

hansamurai wrote...

CRISIS1717 wrote...

You're so entirely done with Dragon Age that you're talking about Dragon Age on a Dragon Age forum.

I bought DAO and DA2 I think I have a right to my opinion on the forum don't you?

Being finished with a series doesn't mean I'll censor my opinion.

jlb524

jlb524
  • Members
  • 19,954 posts

:crying:

Varric has a comic book still...he kinda lives on.

Muezick

Muezick
  • Members
  • 621 posts
Where can I Submit feedback for DA:O and DAII?

Pzykozis

Pzykozis
  • Members
  • 876 posts
Ahh, thats a shame, but expected given how long its been since release, sounds like the future of the series or whatever is next could be quite different again so that could be interesting, but I'm interested anyway there's never enough RPGs to satisfy my hunger.

TheGunslinger

TheGunslinger
  • Members
  • 702 posts

jlb524 wrote...

But hey! Isabela, Aveline and Varric are the only companions who can't die in DA2. ;) I'd doubt this is the last we'll see of them.

TheChris92

TheChris92
  • Members
  • 10,644 posts
Well, that's disappointing. Had hoped to learn more about where Hawke was going after DA2. Oh well.

TEWR

TEWR
  • Members
  • 16,995 posts

Fredvdp wrote...

Just remember what Miyamoto said. "A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is bad forever."

I like DA2 but it contains a lot of missed opportunities. It could have been great but you settled for okay and that's not what I expected from BioWare. If EA allows it, take your time on the next one.

Also don't forget to read feedback from other BioWare titles. If you had read fan reactions on Mass Effect, you'd have known recycling environments was a bad idea.

I agree with everything you said except for liking DAII. I personally hate it -- there are very few qualities in the game that made me even want to replay it. The companions I mentioned above being two -- but otherwise your post summed up my feelings on the matter.

KnightofPhoenix

KnightofPhoenix
  • Members
  • 21,527 posts
DA is pretty much dead to me by now unless they pull off some kind of miracle, which I doubt considering Bioware's rather questionable track record these days (most polite way of saying it).

Heather Cline

Heather Cline
  • Members
  • 2,822 posts
Ah so no closure to Hawke and the rest of the gang to find out exactly what happened to Hawke after she/he left Kirkwall. Oh well not like I care anymore due to how Bioware treated us with the end of ME3. I won't be buying anymore games or DLC from you guys for that. Take care.

jlb524

jlb524
  • Members
  • 19,954 posts

TheGunslinger wrote...

But hey! Isabela, Aveline and Varric are the only companions who can't die in DA2. ;) I'd doubt this is the last we'll see of them.

Oh yeah, I'm sure they'll have a cameo in the next game.

TEWR

TEWR
  • Members
  • 16,995 posts
It's going to be interesting seeing how Bioware handles Hawke's disappearance -- if they handle it at all -- considering DA3 won't focus on him and DA2 was supposed to explain where he went and how his story ended.

Not that I enjoyed Hawke as a character, mind you. Too much of what happened in the game destroyed who my Hawke was.

I'm not surpised though that they're pulling the plug on DAII. It's something I and many other people had been predicting. It will definitely take a lot of hard work -- years of it -- for the DA games to succeed again.

jlb524 wrote...

It's just not the same. It's like a long-distance relationship. You yearn to see them up close and personal instead of dealing with the fact that they're in a far away land.

Edited by The Ethereal Writer Redux, 19 March 2012 - 03:53 PM.

Mark Darrah

Mark Darrah
  • BioWare Employees
  • 55 posts
We will try to bring some closure to Hawke's story but likely not in a playable form. Originally we had planned to do an expansion pack but had to stop to focus on what we are working on now.