Photo

"Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D" Totally "Borrowed" Concept Art from Mass Effect 3

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

fhweufhewiu

fhweufhewiu
  • Members
  • 6 posts
Ok, hi there! I've never really been active in this community, I just registered for the bonus perks in Mass Effect 2. Yesterday though, I saw something on TV that made me think maybe I should try to bring something to somebody who works for Mass Effect's attention. I was watching an episode of Marvel's "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." entitled "The Bridge" yesterday, when I noteced one of the background effects used in a scene looked like a piece of concept art that bioware released for Mass Effect 3. I don't know if this is significant or not (like legally) or if maybe you guys knew about, or if someone posted this already because then feel free to delete this thread. Here's the image of the scene I took off of my TV screen compared to the concept art, a lithograph called "Earth Alliance":

Sorry the image wont load (I promise the link won't give you a virus) 

There are a few differences (the towers have been edited out and certain extensions have been made to the existing image) but the majority of the structure's details are the same. The lines crossing the landing pad thing are the same, as well as the peg-vent thing on top which has been duplicated to the position of the edited out tower. As I said the image appears in an episode entitled "The Bridge" in case anyone wants to check it out. Like I said if this has already been brought up then feel free to delete this thread. I just didn't know who to tell. I think they're the same image. If they weren't the same base image then I think the similarities at least make the case for plagirism of something.  

EDIT: Thanks to KroganSoul for pointing this out, but apparently this was picked up by Eurogamer and Kotaku

Edited by fhweufhewiu, 10 January 2014 - 03:04 AM.

SNascimento

SNascimento
  • Members
  • 6,002 posts
Ha! It's pretty much the same... nice find.

mhmbaSR1

mhmbaSR1
  • Members
  • 117 posts
I don't watch that tv show (and don't plan to), but if the bottom image is legitimate then they are definitely ripping off mass effect

AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan
  • Members
  • 7,002 posts
How do you know Bioware made the original "concept art", rather than both works copying from third parties? Again?

Edited by AlexMBrennan, 09 January 2014 - 01:47 PM.

Iakus

Iakus
  • Members
  • 30,431 posts
All I know is Agents of Shield is handling their own version of the Lazarus Project way better than Mass Effect ever handled theirs

enayasoul

enayasoul
  • Members
  • 1,785 posts

iakus wrote...

All I know is Agents of Shield is handling their own version of the Lazarus Project way better than Mass Effect ever handled theirs

Yep!  I've been really interested in how they're going about explaining his 'rebirth'.  It's a good show and have watched it from the very beginning.  Sorry NCIS.  :P

Nice find on the graphic. I totally missed it.  Wow.  Now, that I think about it more.  It did seem oddly familar but I just shrugged it off not knowing why.  But this explains it!

Edited by enayasoul, 09 January 2014 - 05:19 PM.

Lightning Whale

Lightning Whale
  • Members
  • 3 posts
i'm not sure i think Shepard's rebirth was better after seeing coulson's Lazarus

JedTed

JedTed
  • Members
  • 1,109 posts
I've only lightly followed this show cause i wanted to see how they brought Coleson back. I thought he was just gonna be a Coleson LMD or something so i was surprised when they just stole the Lazarus Project from ME2.

Jere85

Jere85
  • Members
  • 1,542 posts
Great find, i find it strange anyone watched Agents of Shield though... But to each their own :)

Robbiesan

Robbiesan
  • Members
  • 2,543 posts
Good catch OP, and AlexMBrennan.

Mr.House

Mr.House
  • Members
  • 23,338 posts

JedTed wrote...

I've only lightly followed this show cause i wanted to see how they brought Coleson back. I thought he was just gonna be a Coleson LMD or something so i was surprised when they just stole the Lazarus Project from ME2.

Because Bioware was the first to ever do something like project Lazarus right?

AlanC9

AlanC9
  • Members
  • 35,825 posts
LMDs are established in Marvel lore. Resurrection isn't. It happens plenty, but usually there's something mystical sbout it.

Edited by AlanC9, 09 January 2014 - 11:58 PM.

KroganSoul

KroganSoul
  • Members
  • 118 posts
why are the mods allowing offtopic/troll posts in this thread?

fhweufhewiu

fhweufhewiu
  • Members
  • 6 posts
@AlexMBrennan I thought maybe they were doing something like that too at first, I remember the whole Tali stock photo thing and what a debacle that was. The fact that Bioware sold the lithograph though has me convinced otherwise, because that would mean that the art is either under copyright by mass effect or that the bioware store is selling it with the permission of the artist who owns the copyright. In the link you posted, the base for the Tali image was a royalty free stock photo, it gets a little grey with the snow picture though.

@KroganSoul that wasn't my intention when posting this, I just found this image and tried to find a place where a Bioware employee might see it. If "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." used or copied the concept art without the artist or Bioware's permission (or whoever the copyright holder is it might be EA at this point) then there could be serious legal issues. There was a story earlier this year about an artist who sued the new movie "oldboy" because the movie's designers created images visually similar to what he submitted for them without compensating him. If Marvel did the same thing to Bioware here, someone could be profiting from their work.

Edited by fhweufhewiu, 10 January 2014 - 02:51 AM.

SwobyJ

SwobyJ
  • Members
  • 7,376 posts

AlexMBrennan wrote...

How do you know Bioware made the original "concept art", rather than both works copying from third parties? Again?

That's my cue... youtu.be/rm82gjZDIDU

Star fury

Star fury
  • Members
  • 6,412 posts

iakus wrote...

You made me interested to see Agents of Shield. Just to see the fate of Son of Coul.

Edited by Star fury, 10 January 2014 - 09:48 AM.

SNascimento

SNascimento
  • Members
  • 6,002 posts
About the Starchild scenario, I don't think it's was a copy. I mean, it obviously was, but not int he sense that the ME team didn't want to design their own scenery and then just googled something and put it there (which is what Tali's face looks like though).

It feels to me that they really enjoyed that image and decided to use it because of that. I'm not sure who originally did it and if Bioware had any contact with that person, but it does feel to me more like a homage based on admiration than a copy based on laziness.

Abraham_uk

Abraham_uk
  • Members
  • 11,713 posts
Isn't there an old saying about great artists stealing from the best?

Looks like a complement to me.

TheProtheans

TheProtheans
  • Members
  • 1,622 posts
It's not the same.

TheProtheans

TheProtheans
  • Members
  • 1,622 posts

AlexMBrennan wrote...

Probably, who knows how much Bioware copied in terms of desgin.
We just know the most obvious ones. 

Kidd

Kidd
  • Members
  • 3,667 posts
I wonder who made that piece of concept art? Any way of knowing? =)

KroganSoul

KroganSoul
  • Members
  • 118 posts
the show is pure waste garbage i hate crap shows like that, its not funny and super hero shows suck. please EA and or BioWare sue them for the lulz

Zerker

Zerker
  • Members
  • 388 posts
Meh, wrong thread. Sorry about that.

Edited by Maddok900, 10 January 2014 - 05:28 PM.

Obadiah

Obadiah
  • Members
  • 5,773 posts
EA might have sold them them copyright or something, OR a contractor/artist took some shortcuts. Remember when a bunch of NWN portraits were swapped out in a patch because the profiles resembled online photos of celebrities? This stuff happens.

The other thread that got locked had this:
Posted Image

Edited by Obadiah, 11 January 2014 - 03:41 PM.

shodiswe

shodiswe
  • Members
  • 5,002 posts
It does look very simlar.