Photo

Party Banter Silence/Near-Silence Glitch Thread [Update 11/30: An up-and-coming new workaround! And an OP design edit!]

3042 replies to this topic

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts

POPULAR

Haven's Finest

Proud to be your one-stop shop for all blood magic rituals which may or may not bring your glitched files some much-needed party banter!

Think you're bugged? Try these obscure workarounds! We can't guarantee their success, but we can tell you that many (not all, sadly) of us have experienced at least temporary bouts of relatively normalized chatter ratios, as well as more music and other often-missing audio bits, upon trying these out. Many users with files approaching triple-digit play time and less than ten banter instances gave these tricks a whirl and suddenly experienced the simple joy of companions conversing much more frequently. Good luck!

Asterisks in the Hinterlands

* "this miiight work."
** "we've had several people report favorable results."
*** "this is helping so many people, Cole greatly approves."

In Your File Shall Work

-Today's newest possible lifesaver comes courtesy reddit user spaceclarkson. Here's the official scoop: go offline from Origin's servers and then access Skyhold's war table to fast-travel to a location of your choice. From there, fast-travel directly to Val Royeaux. If things are going as planned, you'll hear Val's music. For many of us hit by these audio glitches, this may well be your first time hearing it. Anyway, go ahead and fast-travel to wherever you intend to play after that. Hopefully intermittent music will be more constant and banter will improve. One important note here is that in the future you'll only want to exit the war table by fast-traveling to a location. Testing illustrates a high probability that leaving it just to head back into Skyhold triggers the bug again, at which point I guess you'll just want to repeat what I've listed. ***

-Fast travel between camps. Wait around a bit. See what happens. There have been limited reports of this causing stuff to fire off after a while. *

-While at a camp, mount/unmount and then rest. When your party wakes up, either idle in place or go about your questing business -- try both and see if one works for you. This method has had an appreciable number of results for many of us whose companions were effectively mutes all game beforehand, but like the rest of our list, it seems to get "clogged up" again fairly quickly. Rinse and repeat if you find success with this. ***

-Here's a winner: go into your journal and hover over everything, everywhere, until it no longer has the ticker next to it that designates that it's new. Of tremendous importance here is that many times completed quests have to be hovered over in their section as well. Likely a bug, and it probably causes interference in the system, messing around with other stuff in the process. Now do the same with your inventory and codex... yes, it's annoying. But it seems to clean things up for many players. You might try doing all this while disconnected from all account settings too; in my experience that has helped greatly. Once you're done, save your game, exit to the main menu, and then jump back in. ***

-Fiddle with the audio settings. DAI incorporates multiple levels here: home theater, TV, night, and headphones. Oftentimes users have reported that switching these around triggers music they've otherwise never heard, fuller sound effects representation, and, yes, possibly even banter. There's no consensus on which settings work and which ones don't work, so switch it up and hope for the best. **

-Try rolling a new character. Unfortunately this one rarely works, but a couple of regulars here may have somehow pulled it off. Might be too early to tell. In most cases it doesn't seem to get rid of the problem, or it comes back eventually, but hey. *

More to come as it's devised. If you find any of these methods workable, take a moment to thank the contributors who have developed them. I'm honored to host a thread brimming with such passion for the game and motivation to patch it through blood, sweat, and tears.

And by blood I totally mean blood magic, yeah.

Codex Unlocked: A Brief History of Glitch Thread Updates

UPDATE 11/30: Since last night I've been tidying things up to look presentable and such. More importantly by far, I've begun utilizing the OP as a database of user-constructed workarounds. This was something I'd intended to do since the 27th, certainly the 28th once the official BioWare update hit the forums and gave us all a big sigh, and I definitely heard the requests to do a good job at it. I hope it's all-inclusive, and I will absolutely continue updating with new techniques. Once BioWare has more to say on the matter, that too shall arrive here for discussion, so long as the mods continue to allow this topic to coexist with the recent News & Announcements piece.

2nd UPDATE 11/28: Yep, so, the devs have done plenty and can't replicate our collective wonky conditions even still. Utterly dumbfounding. As Allan experienced days ago, the saves we've submitted work as intended at the BioWare offices. But some of you have gotten so incredibly little banter -- single digits heading into triple-digit hours of total play time -- that there's just... seven hells, my loves. I just don't know. Keep those streams and recordings coming, maybe that'll help. In the meantime, brace yourselves in case it's decided to "consolidate discussion" into the announcement thread. This one is very big, and rightly so, but I worry that'll mean its eventual closure. Maybe not though, we'll see. If it happens, let's all just continue our work there. *takes a shot*

UPDATE 11/28: Yes, Mark Darrah's phrasing in responding to tweets about this issue feels like a bit of a blow. It's true that his mentioning that some of this is perception, his reaction to a comment about music, and his post about how it's possible to exhaust all dialogue all comes together to show he hasn't read up on this thread or any of the others on various DA-related sites. But let's also consider, of course, that he's literally Mark Darrah. I'm not too surprised he's out of the loop on this, he's in charge of a lot of stuff. Still, it does kind of hurt. It feels a bit like he's partially washing hands of the affair when thousands of players are getting near-zilch from the get-go with their files and many of us are putting in overtime trying to help identify the issue. They are investigating. It is being looked into. But we might still hold more cards to ourselves re: our findings than is remotely optimal. The truth is, right now it feels like we know more than they do. It's probably illusory, but it's possible it isn't. So if you feel like tweeting devs with specific findings from your playtesting, I won't disagree with that move. Just remember to be civil. We need them to know we do this out of love for the writing we paid good money to hear. Because, well, dammit, we love Dragon Age. Right now it's just kinda on mute for us.

UPDATE 11/27: Allan has enough saves for an analysis, folks! No need to send him more, at least not for now. I'll let you know if that changes, of course. Also, we've apparently gained press coverage! Whoa. IGN, EuroGamer, and VG247 have all run articles on the glitch, which means more people are going to pour in than ever before. If you're around when they ask for details, please fill them in! 'Cause remember, many impacted players would never have known this wasn't simply a case of the game having profoundly sparse banter (and ceaselessly glitchy environmental music) in general before we united with our findings. And, to my American friends: Happy Thanksgiving! Something something... let's be grateful the devs are testing. ;D

2nd UPDATE 11/26: Even as I made the previous edit, ALLAN SCHUMACHER FORMALLY REQUESTED THAT PC PLAYERS AFFLICTED WITH THIS GLITCH AND ROUGHLY 60-70+ HOURS INTO THE GAME PLEASE PM HIM ASAP. BioWare is investigating and needs your files to do so! I'm under the impression being a few hours below that level should also prove acceptable, just not necessarily quite as handy. Please PM Allan your save data today if possible!

UPDATE 11/26: shinobi602, of NeoGAF fame, helped pass along the message of mass banter glitch outbreak to BioWare's very own Aaryn Flynn today. He pledged to look into it -- but here's where we come in. He also said they may be requesting PC user save files today. It's important that PC players active in this thread stand ready to send in their data if so! It's also important to remember that Allan fiddled around with one such file only for banter to function properly in the limited time he had with it, too, so this may not solve the matter. Or it might! Only one way to find out. So if we're asked, be ready.

2nd UPDATE 11/25: Allan clarified he's looking into things on his own time, as time permits, but David Hulegaard addressed Origin's thread apologizing for the trouble we're going through and assuring us it's under investigation, Mark Darrah addressed a tweet saying he'd have people look into it, and another dev took to a Reddit thread on the subject with echoed sentiment. We definitely have their attention! But no, there's no way of knowing when it'll be fixed. The cause(s?) are as yet undetermined and although it appears to have impacted a lot of players, it's still an intermittent thing, ergo, still a royal head-scratcher. Stay loud (but polite) my friends, and know that as frustratingly quiet as your companions may be, we'll all stay loud with you!

UPDATE 11/25: Allan Schumacher arrived at the scene last night and it sounds like he'll be taking a look at it. Due to its intermittent nature and the varied reports this is going to be a tough one, but we have their attention. This bug is getting more reports than I anticipated, which is sad for the many players here, on tumblr, on reddit, GameFAQs, Origin, and "in the wild" who have been hit with it, but good in that it'll garner more consideration from the developers. In the meantime, if you believe you have been impacted please report your findings here and on the EA Origin site for research purposes. Thanks, and good luck everyone!

• AstroCat, DalishRanger, Navleen and 88 others like this

Farangbaa

Farangbaa
  • Members
  • 6,757 posts

Yeah, that must be a bug. My party members will not shut the *bleep* up.

• JeffZero, movieguyabw and alkestis like this

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts

Yeah, that must be a bug. My party members will not shut the *bleep* up.

Thank you, I had hoped someone without it would be the first to post. It's good proof for others in my situation to see that, no, seriously, we're missing a lot of content here, it isn't just the game not having it in general. :)

I'm actually strongly considering putting the game down for a week hoping the first patch will be out soon and will address this. I really don't enjoy exploring much knowing I'm missing out on plenty of my favorite thing: the dialogue.
  • Kinghaplo and Enchant_m3nt like this

LiquidLyrium

LiquidLyrium
  • Members
  • 327 posts

It is SO INCREDIBLY LONELY adventuring with my almost silent party members. The Storm Coast works best for me, but even with that it's so incredibly rare.

Although sometimes multiple banters trigger in short succession. (I stood on a hillside on the storm coast and like 2 or 3 conversations flew by rapidly.) Varric and Cass and Dorian and Varric are the most chatty for me, in those combinations. Like I haven't gotten NO banters but it is something I'm craving like oxygen and I'm frankly jealous of people who have too much lol

• Tamyn, xrayspex73, spacefiddle and 24 others like this

Evamitchelle

Evamitchelle
  • Members
  • 1,134 posts

I've said it in the other thread but I'll say it here as well: I've played 70+ hours on PC, and I've had maybe a dozen banters. Solas seems to make other characters speak more, otherwise it's pretty much nothing from all the other characters (even the supposedly chatty ones like Iron Bull and Dorian). 

• Kinghaplo, Enchant_m3nt, LittleRedHead54 and 1 other like this

Svingtur

Svingtur
  • Members
  • 5 posts

Thank you for addressing this issue!

I'm on PS4 and I have serious banter and music problems. I've played for 30 hours and I've only had two conversations between Varric and Cassandra and one with Bull and Sera. Also, hardly any music, and sound effects disappear every time I cast Barrier -.- It takes a lot of fun out of the game, and it annoys me knowing that I'm missing out.

• Kinghaplo, Enchant_m3nt, jjarrellj and 1 other like this

MiyoKit

MiyoKit
  • Members
  • 227 posts

My companions talk all the time, and I'm the sort who uses mounts everywhere I go. I've not even switched my party up (Solas, Cass, Dorian) and they haven't ran out of things to say (the talks on magic between Dorian and Solas are my Fav). I hope you guys can get this fixed. I wonder, do your companions even talk when artifacts are nearby / things to ping?

• JeffZero likes this

yhibiki

yhibiki
  • Members
  • 127 posts
I have this issue too. I've had the characters mentioning the scenery more often than talking to each other. :(

On PC.
  • Jaulen, Furzilla, Sjofn and 8 others like this

LiquidLyrium

LiquidLyrium
  • Members
  • 327 posts

My companions talk all the time, and I'm the sort who uses mounts everywhere I go. I've not even switched my party up (Solas, Cass, Dorian) and they haven't ran out of things to say (the talks on magic between Dorian and Solas are my Fav). I hope you guys can get this fixed. I wonder, do your companions even talk when artifacts are nearby / things to ping?

Yeah, they do stuff like talk about artifacts (though stuff like Astrariums and the Ocularas are apparently a one and done deal fullstop for me) and camp sites and enemies but actual banter is pretty sparse. I'm glad there's more that I'm just not hearing though.

Like, I want more Hawke-related banter! I need it! D: </3

I can eavesdrop like nobody's business tho.

• Enchant_m3nt likes this

Evamitchelle

Evamitchelle
  • Members
  • 1,134 posts

They talk about random artifacts, monuments etc. just fine for me. Banter is the only problem. 

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts

Mine do, at least. That is, for all intents and purposes, the only field dialogue I ever hear out of them.

What's funny is, I've spent the last few hours of game time testing locations, trying in vain to get people to talk. The Storm Coast's beach flustered me several times because I thought maybe my companions were about to chat but -- nope! -- it was just one of them commenting on how seasick they get, etc.
  • Jaulen likes this

InterrogationBear

InterrogationBear
  • Members
  • 732 posts

I've said it in the other thread but I'll say it here as well: I've played 70+ hours on PC, and I've had maybe a dozen banters.

I played almost 10 hours and had at least a dozen banters with the three initial companions. I changed my party and The Iron Bull is constantly flirting with Cassandra. They just talked about boob armor.

I am on PC btw.

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts

I played almost 10 hours and had at least a dozen banters with the three starting companions. I changed my party and The Iron Bull is flirting with Cassandra constantly. They just talked about boob armor.

Yeah, it's definitely obvious the game has banter. Some of us just never hear it.

Alright, I'll do my part to keep this bumped over the next few days, but yeah, I think I'm going to quit playing for a while in hopes it'll be resolved. It sucks because I love the game otherwise, but this is just a huuuge deal for me, haha. Let's continue to get the word out. :)
  • Enchant_m3nt and Ewa like this

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts
Heading to school, so I'll give this one shameless little early bump before I leave to keep it on the first page a bit longer.

mbrandybuck

mbrandybuck
  • Members
  • 18 posts

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I thought it was a little odd that my characters are not really talking much. And... I have yet to have even ONE conversation with any party individual. I realize we cannot initiate conversations like in past DA games, but I hoped the party members would initiate conversation with me once in a while.

I'm not saying they haven't spoken at all, just very little.

Would love to know whether this is working as intended or some kind of bug.

Can we hear from someone at Bioware to explain what we are supposed to be experiencing?

• JeffZero and Enchant_m3nt like this

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts
Thus far, the devs haven't really been taking to the forums, but they've promised they're reading everything. Hopefully it's because they're hard at work on fixing this problem (and the apparently myriad problems PC players are facing, from the looks of things).
  • Enchant_m3nt likes this

R0vena

R0vena
  • Members
  • 477 posts

I have this issue, too. 30+ hours in the game, but not much banter and I am yet to see my PC to participate in any of them. Varric and Cassandra started great at first, had several conversations, after that no matter the party they were silent for hours, after that Blackwall and Sera had several dialogs in very quick succession - and now everybody is on the long silent strike again. They comment on quests and environments, just not talking to each other. 

• JeffZero and Enchant_m3nt like this

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts

What's interesting is how this seems to sort itself out over time for some and then for others it goes away and then reasserts itself. Some people have it in the early game and then acquire Skyhold and it goes away, leading to posts theorizing that it is intentional. But folks like me have had the problem nonstop no matter how far we've gotten.

It sounds like a nightmare to address. 

• TreeDreamer, Enchant_m3nt, _Lucinia and 1 other like this

Cespar

Cespar
  • Members
  • 2,954 posts

I'm having this issue on the xbox one. I had like two banter between Varric and Vivienne, and two between Cole and Vivienne. One between Varric and Cole. I played like 30 hours. 

• JeffZero likes this

puppyofwar

puppyofwar
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Having this issue as well, 20+ hour into the game(past skyhold) but only 5~6 banters.

• JeffZero likes this

Ghost_of_Zap

Ghost_of_Zap
  • Members
  • 5,288 posts

Added a couple of those to my other thread about banter as people who have regular banter i'll try to creatively bump this one too from time to time.

• JeffZero likes this

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts

Added a couple of those to my other thread about banter as people who have regular banter i'll try to creatively bump this one too from time to time.

You do the Maker's work. :P

puppyofwar

puppyofwar
  • Members
  • 311 posts

Bump the thread with my sad panda power.

You can't believe how upset I was for missing so much wonderful content!

• JeffZero likes this

Caboods

Caboods
  • Members
  • 111 posts

Yep, I experience that as well.
Most of the time I can run around an area for threes hours completing quests and collecting stuff and the only comments I get are some short remarks on sidequests. But no banter.

And then, suddenly two or three conversations happen in quick sucession. And then, silence for hours again.

I'm around... 20h now, only had 4 banters. Two between Iron Bull and Vivienne, two between Solas and Blackwall.

• JeffZero likes this

JeffZero

JeffZero
  • Members
  • 14,400 posts

Bump the thread with my sad panda power.

You can't believe how upset I was for missing so much wonderful content!

Aww. :( I can certainly imagine. I'm dreading the willpower it is gonna take me to not play for like a week now as I wait to see if an early patch resolves the matter because I just... don't know that I can stomach all the remaining exploration now that I know I'm just almost completely missing one of the best elements of the series.

If it isn't fixed by then, well, I guess I'll find a way to continue.